Chapter Thirty-nine

Caleb pulled up to the emergency room and swallowed hard. Eleanora called him and said they were on their way to the hospital and that if he still wanted a chance with her daughter, he better show up.

He walked up to the counter. "Excuse me, I'm here to see Maria Delsante."

"And you are?"

"Caleb Jackson, her fiancée."

"Go inside the doors. She's in room 3."

"Thank you."

That was easier than he'd expected. He thought that he'd have a small fight on his hands to see her, but they let him right in. Why would Maria need to go to the hospital? The thought didn't sit well with him. Taking a deep breath, he wandered towards her room. Inside, he could hear her and her mom talking.

"Why would you call him?" he heard her screech.

"Because you weren't going to."

"I told you why!"

"Look hun, I'm not thrilled about how you ended up in this position, but you love him. I can tell by the look in your eyes and that type of love doesn't come around very often, and I wasn't about to let you be miserable the rest of your life."

"But he deserves..."

"Forget about what you think he deserves. Do you love him?"

Caleb paused, waiting for her answer before he intruded.

"Yes, damn it."

"Hey, watch that mouth!' her mother scolded.

"Don't treat me like a kid."

"Then don't act like one," her mother rebuttled. "Sweetheart, look. When I was your age, I fell in love with someone, but I let him get away because my family didn't like him. And I have always wondered what our lives would have been like had I not given in so easily. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love your Father and wouldn't change my life for anything, but you only live once dear. If you love him, don't give up without a fight."

Caleb smiled. He didn't exactly expect her mother to be fighting for his cause, but he'd take it. In his pocket sat the ring he'd given her. He decided to bring it with him to the hospital, just in case she decided to take him back. And now more than ever, he was optimistic that he'd actually be able to slip it back on her finger.

He knocked on the glass to announce his presence from behind the curtain. "Hello?" he called. "Can I come in?"

Maria groaned. "Fine."

Her mother squeezed her hand. "Remember what I said. I'm going to go get a drink and give you two time to talk."

"But—" she protested.

"You'll be fine."

He looked down at his lover, his heart, his future wife. She was pale and looked so fragile lying there, covered in a hospital blanket. "Are you okay?"

"That depends on your definition of okay," she said flatly. "Why are you here?"

"Your mother called me."

"I know that, but why? Don't you have a family to take care of?"

"Sweetheart, you're my family."

She looked away. "You have a child, Caleb, and her mother. You don't need me."

He sat down on the bed beside her, running his finger down her bare arm. "I'm always going to need you."

Keep your resolve, girl! She wasn't going to let him melt her heart so easily. She had to be tough for his sake. One day, he was going to regret choosing her over Karen. "I know you think you do, but you have everything you need with them."