Chapter Thirty-two

Maria froze. Those words were not good words to hear. Did she do something wrong? Say something wrong? Rolling off him, she grabbed the blanket off the floor and wrapped it around herself. "What's wrong?"

"It's not so much that something is wrong, but there is something we haven't really discussed."

"Good or bad?"

"Depends on how you look at it."

She pulled the blanket tightly around her, unsure of where the discussion was going. His eyes made her nervous. They were guarded, but she could see the fear behind them.

"Well, you know that we've been having sex, right," he said.

"I think that's what they call it, yes," she remarked with a cheeky grin.

"Smartass woman," he said, chuckling nervously.

What was making him anxious? Was he going to say that she sucked in the sack? She thought she did pretty good according to his response to her. Maybe he wanted to bring in a third person, like he did with Felicity and Julie. Oh gosh, did he want to have a threesome?

"Is this to do with our contract?" She asked.

"In a way. We've been forgetting one of the clauses."

"Which one would that be," she asked hesitantly.

"Protection."

"From?"

"Kids."

"I'm not following." She felt really stupid that she wasn't following his line of thought, but he was talking so cryptically. Either that or her brain was still in drunken orgasmic overdrive.

"We haven't been using protection."

"Oh." Maria looked down at her toes peeking out of the blanket, giving them a little wiggle as she struggled to digest his words. Her world was in such an uproar that getting on birth control was the last thing on her mind. It should have been the first. She should have gone to the doctor the moment she met him.

Her period was supposed to be starting any day now, at least, she thought so. Lifting her hand, she counted how long it's been since her last period and frowned. She should be starting it any day now, if not even already, but she hasn't.

"Holy shit," she said and then slapped her hands over her filthy mouth. "Oh gosh. I couldn't be. Could I?"

Standing up quickly, she spun in a circle, slightly dizzy and lightheaded. Where'd she put her phone? She had to check her period app. She wanted kids, but didn't want them now. She thought marriage first and be secure in their finances before they even had the kid discussion.

Leaving Sylvester sitting on the couch, she made a mad dash down the hall and into the bedroom where she'd left her clothes. Searching all her pockets, she tried to find her phone, but it was nowhere to be found.

"Where's my purse?" she yelled to Caleb.

Moments later, he strolled into the room carrying her purse. She dumped out all the contents onto the bed, but her phone didn't join them. Maria fell back on the bed and threw her arm over her eyes, groaning.

"I'm so dead."

"I just want you to know that if you are, I'm okay with it," he said quickly.

Maria rolled onto her side, propping herself up on her elbow, studying him. "If you are, then why do you look so afraid?"

"I'm afraid that you'll do something you can't undo."

That really had her attention now. "Like what?"