Chapter Thirteen

Sylvester rolled into work late, too, but that didn’t matter really. Julie was there to open anyways. She was his comrade in arms, not to mention she sold more merchandise than any of his other workers combined. It probably helped that she looked like a playboy model, especially with her flawless features, blond hair, and skimpy clothing.

“Hey, hun, anyone interesting pop in this morning?” he asked.

Julie rested her elbows on the counter and leaned over, flaunting her substantial sized breasts in her tiny tank top. “Charlotte stopped by, apparently very eager to talk to you.”

“Did she now?” he groaned. Charlotte was a woman who hated the word no and didn’t often accept it either, even when it was yelled in her face. How her husband stayed with her Sylvester would never know. She was a swinger, a woman of many tastes, and while he was involved with her for a while, he refused to stay involved with her once he found out she was married. It might be fine for others in his group, but not for him.

He didn’t want to find himself staring down the barrel of a shotgun from either her husband or her father, who happened to be a hunter. It was a good thing he came in late today. After the night he had, he just wanted a quiet day in the shop.

“Oh, almost forgot,” she said, pulling a card out of her bra, “A Constable Victor stopped by and was asking me a ton of questions, like my whereabouts last night. Want to tell me what that’s all about?”

“Felicity was murdered.”

Julie gasped, her hands flying to her ashen face. “Oh God.”

She’s seen a few of his subs come and go over the last year, Felicity being one of them. The two girls would get together once in a while for drinks, inviting him along for the ride. And yes, they had a threesome once.

He chuckled. They had went out and had a few drinks together, then went back to his place and ended up playing a stripping game with a deck of cards. That was one of the more interesting nights of his life. But him and Julie were more buddies as opposed to anything else. She wasn’t interested in more and neither was he. That was fine with him.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I've been waiting to hear back from him.” Sylvester pulled the phone out of his pocket and noticed he had a missed call. “I must have just missed him. Excuse me, hun.” He walked behind her to head to his office, and she smacked his butt.

“You go do your thing. I’ll try to sell some crap,” she said, smirking.
He stepped into his office and shut the door, placing Victor’s card on the desk. Sylvester rubbed his hands down his face as he sat down. They did say bad things happen in three’s, so hopefully her death would be the last item on the bad thing’s agenda.

“Constable Victor, it’s Sylvester. Julie said you stopped by this morning?”

“That’s right. Your sister wanted to go, but she’s been pulled off the case since it’s a conflict of interest. As far as we can tell, the murder took place in your house between 1900 and 2000. Where did you say you were at that time?”

“I was with Maria at the Starlight Restaurant until probably 8:00 and then that’s when we drove back to my place.”

“And you found the door ajar, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Did you both go inside?”

“Not initially. I saw someone inside on the floor and told Maria to go call an ambulance, and then I went inside to check on her.”

“No one else was in the house?”

“Whoever did it was long gone.”

“Did you guys see anything outside before you went in? Anything strange?”