16- Saige

I offered my hand down with a sheepish and slightly guilty smile, "So, um, is this the part where I apologize?"

Her narrowed brown eyes softened, letting out a laugh while shaking her head, "Of course not." She grasped my hand and I hauled her to her feet, ignoring the roaring sea of people.

"So, you're not mad?"

"Saige, I was honored to fight you." She wiped some sweat from her forehead wincing, "Who am I kidding? I need to get the training you get; you're a dadgum ninja!"

I chuckled lifting my arms showing my already forming bruises, "You were a tough foe, and you punch like a man."

"Truce?" She held out her fist with a wide grin.

"Truce," I fist bumped her.

"Good, but I'll have you in the next challenge for sure."

Our conversation was cut short when Monroe stepped between us and gripped my wrist throwing it in the air, "Winner! Saige O'Connor!" The crowd erupted into more screaming; mostly consisting I'm sure from the front row where my friends have gathered. I wasn't one to like being the center of attention, so I awkwardly stood there and gave the people what I hope was a genuine smile and not a grimace. Suddenly remembering that I was being watched, I glanced around, but Braxton had disappeared. I kept my guard up anyway, no doubt still around.

Monroe threw his arm around Phoenix's shoulders leading her towards Richard and Captain Jensen. I took that as a means to finally get out of the ring and all but ran to escape the piercing hundred pairs of gazes. I jumped down and was immediately engulfed into a hug and lifted into the air, "I knew you could do it!"

I giggled and hugged him back, "I couldn't have done it without you, Jackson."

He sat me down and pulled back to look at me, "I didn't do much; you did all the hard work."

"Don't be so modest," I chided, putting on an innocent expression. "If it wasn't for your constant nagging you call teaching, I wouldn't be standing here."

"Why thank yo-," he stopped realizing what I just said. "Hey!" I burst into laughter; he wrapped one arm around my waist successfully trapping me while tickling me with the other. My shrill laughter most likely heard over the fight that was just starting.

"Ahem, are we interrupting something?" We both jerked to the sound of Justin's amused tone, clearly not sorry. My eyes subconsciously connected with hazel, a deep scowl etched on his face. It was then I realized how close I was to Jackson, with his arm still on my waist. My cheeks heated up, this was the second time in one day I've been caught in a very close proximity to this guy. I took a small step away in time to be tackled by a chestnut blur.

"You were amazing!" She gripped my shoulders, "But you also gave me a heart attack!"

I beamed a little confused, "I'm sorry?"

"Don't apologize! Why are you apologizing?"

"Because...I gave you a heart attack?"

"That's nothing to be sorry about, you won!"

I opened my mouth then closed it not sure how to respond. Justin stepped forward attempting to keep in a laugh, "She's still a bit worked up. Nice one, Blondie; never doubted you for a second."

I high fived him, "Thanks." I looked over his shoulder, Ky's scowl was gone but he was tense. I didn't like that. I put on my best smile surprising him when I jumped, capturing him in a hug, "You're not allowed to be grumpy."

He quickly responded wrapping his arms around me and chuckling, "What are you talking about? I'm not grumpy."

"Good, because I feel like doing something fun."