8- Ky

"I'm going to assume you knew of the huge risk you took by taking Saige out of town the other day," my father recited calmly.

            Jackson stood tall, face revealing nothing, "Yes, Sir."

            Dad crossed his arms over his chest and sighed, "I understand about giving her a break considering what happened with Kelly, but why outside of town?"

            He shifted his weight slightly before answering, "I've never seen her so angry before. She was so caught up in it that she fought me, but she wasn't fighting me specifically."

Nodding in understanding Dad replied, "You think she was fighting whoever took advantage of her."

"I've had my suspicions from the beginning, if you recall the day Saige ran off into the woods to bring the little boy David back? She was distracted during her training that morning, as if she wasn't seeing me. I just wanted her to have a normal moment."

"So you're saying," I chimed in. "That she's preparing to face The Unseen?" He nodded. I furrowed my eyebrows, "Then, she's expecting to see them again." This realization casted long shadows of sorrow over my thoughts; did she not trust us to protect her? Or was she just so afraid she's taking precautions? Or does she want...revenge? I shook my head and tossed the notion, though it still lingered in the back corner.

"Where are we on the traitor?" Dad sunk low into the couch and rubbed a hand down his face.

"Still a ghost," Jackson followed his movements.

"This needs to end," I paced in front of them.

"I'm open to ideas," Dad gestured.

"Every plan I can come up with involves Saige, and I want to keep her as far away as possible." I stalked away to the kitchen grabbing a couple Arizona tea's out of our fridge and pitched one to each of them.

Dad popped open the can and took a sip, "Ky, no one wants her near this, but, and as much as I don't like it, we do have to consider all our options."

My head snapped to his so fast I thought I got whiplash, "You do not really want to use her as bait?" His silence was his answer. "Dad!"

"I don't know how else to draw the culprit out. They are most likely relaying every little thing to The Unseen," he put his Arizona can on the table and rested his elbows on his knees. "This is not just about Saige anymore; I have to take a town of seven thousand people into account as well. We have to think about their safety too, Ky."

I sighed sinking into an arm chair knowing he's right, "So, what do we do? Throw Saige into infested waters alone?"

"Don't say it like that," Jackson snapped. "It's nothing of the sort."

"Then please enlighten me, because that's how it's coming across."

"You really think I would allow that to happen?" My wise father asked me keeping strangely calm, an unknown emotion flashing through his eyes.

"I know you wouldn't," I took another swig from the can and set it down gathering my thoughts. "But we can't guarantee Saige's safety, and I do not want her to take such a big risk."

"We would be right by her side," Jackson pipes in. "We'll make sure-,"

"I can't believe you, of all people, are for this," I cut him off.

"What do you mean?"

I couldn't hold back my scoff.

He ran a hand through his dark hair, "Of course I'm not okay with it, but nothing happened when we-,"