10- Ky

I dashed through the woods, her cries tearing at my heart. I called out to her, only to be met with her nerve racking sobs. I blindly followed them deeper into the forest; I had to get to her. My breath came in short bursts as panic seeped into my chest pushing me harder, faster. Thorne vines curled in my path ripping my skin attempting to stop me, I gritted my teeth ignoring the pain thrusting myself forward. My lungs burned, my muscles begged for a rest; but I wouldn't, not until she was in my arms.

            Where are you?

            I faintly heard my name. Turning sharply towards it, I burst into a clearing. She sat on her knees, head hanging low, in a tattered white dress. Dirt clung to her like a second skin, her hair tousled, and blood splattered over her hands. She slowly raised her leafy eyes to mine revealing silent tear stains gracing her delicate cheeks. I'm sorry.

            Long, silver links of metal suddenly appeared binding her, she didn't even flinch. Three hooded, shadowy figures approached from behind taking their time drawing swords. The figure on the right's blade was scrawled with a word in blood red letters, Fear. The one to the left's blade was scrawled in the same blood red markings and read, Guilt. The last hooded figure in the middle held a sword ready with the bloodied word, Murderer.

I remained a frozen statue, unable to move, forced to helplessly watch as they neared her poised to strike. I was speechless. Those grassy orbs flashed so much pain, so much sorrow, as they brandished the sharp edges against her. She began sobbing, trembling in horror when the securitized shadows reached back, swords glinting, and swiftly pierced her body from all sides.

I sat up in a cold sweat panting. I frantically rubbed my eyes and checked the clock, 6:47 AM. I threw the blanket off and trudged into the bathroom no longer able to stay in bed. Turning the sink on, I splashed cold water on my face and ran my hands through my unruly bed head. I grabbed a towel to dry myself, but ended up just leaning against the sink staring at my reflection. It's been two weeks since the night the Jenson's house was broken into, two weeks of absolute, torturous silence. I took it upon myself along with some trusted others to personally guard them, needless to say no one has gotten much sleep.

I took in a slow, deep breath slanting until my head rested in my hands, "That dream felt so real." I replayed it over and over coming a startling conclusion; it was a warning. "God," I prayed. "I need your guidance. Let her see you through me." I stalked into the kitchen plucking a glass from the cabinet and filling it with water.

"You're up early," Dad trekked in pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"I'm heading over to Lacey's before church," I didn't mention the dream.

He nodded, "I guess I'll meet you at the church then. Call me if you need me."

"I will."

"Make sure you eat something, you tend to get cranky if you don't."

"I take after you in that department," I teased. He tossed me an orange in response hiding a grin; I caught it and returned a granola bar. After eating I went into my room putting on my nicer jeans, a blue button down shirt, and my church boots. Feeling satisfied I started to go out the door.

"You got your gun?"

I nodded, "Always do."

"Good, see ya later then." I waved shutting the door behind me.

The drive over was short, I don't even remember it I was so lost in my thoughts. I knocked softly knowing Hannah would be the only one awake at this time of day. She opened the door and smiled, "Come on in, I've been expecting you." She stepped away allowing me to enter, "Would you like anything? Coffee or eggs?"