Chapter 29 Resolve

Start from the beginning

Jenn shrugged. "Take some time alone, maybe. Don't see us for a while. That's what I would do if it were me who lost out."

"would the loser get over it eventually and come back."

"Yes. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully."

"somehow that's not very convincing to me. i'm not sure if Xue Ge would be either."

"Xue Ge isn't willing to risk it. He values our friendship a lot more than he values dating us," Jenn explained.

"i understand that sentiment. after all we've been through it's heart-breaking to think we'd let this get in the way of our friendship," Matt said.

"I know. But I don't trust myself either. So how can he?"

"so by staying friends we continue to love each but just never act on it."

"It seems like this is the only way then."

Matthias kept silent and ate dessert.

Jenn continued, "This is the point where you're supposed to say 'Yes, you're right Jenn. You're always right Jenn'."

Matthias still kept silent and ate dessert.

"...Stop it."

"i haven't said anything," Matt said.

"I know what you're thinking. The answer is no. Out of the question."

#

Karaoke rooms are never classy. Even at 5-star hotels. Décor, motif and lighting are always chosen to be as garish as possible.

So naturally, the boys loved it. They butchered their favourite songs in Mandarin with much enthusiasm.

Xue Ge took a break to talk about something on his mind. "Guys. Thanks for helping the three of us thus far."

"Well, to be honest we're not doing it for you," Chee Yok admitted.

"What he said."

Xue Ge smiled. "Still. I'm thankful for all the help. I really am."

"Just how thankful are you?" Bolin asked jokingly.

Chee Yok wasn't smiling. "Bolin, don't push it. We both know how he feels about them."

"Hey, I'm just kidding. Give me some credit."

Xue Ge looked away. "Actually, that was what I was thinking about. I was kidding about you two not being allowed to woo Matt and Jennifer."

Chee Yok and Bolin looked at Xue Ge with scepticism. "Really? You wouldn't mind?"

Xue Ge sighed. "Admittedly, I would mind. But once this is over, I'm still going to encourage them both to date you two."

To say Chee Yok and Bolin were shocked would be an understatement. "That doesn't make sense at all."

"Why would you do that?" Bolin asked.

"Right now they're waiting for the other to give up first and date one of you instead, "Xue Ge explained, "But neither will give in. And the thing I'm afraid of most is the friendship will be strained."

"You're telling us to take them both from you, so you can keep them both as friends," Bolin asked.

Xue Ge nodded slowly.

"There is no way they're going to go for that," Chee Yok said.

Xue Ge took another big swig. "I won't give them a choice."