Chapter 14 Suspicion

After school, study group at the canteen.

Xue Ge was looking really grumpy.

Well, he had certainly reason to be, considering the pain in his hand. But Jennifer had another guess why. "Don't be like that. We have to make up for the classes you two missed."

They were in the middle of Matt's tutoring session.

"You are both too cruel." Xue Ge slouched over workbooks. "Today stress like mad, okay? Cannot have break ah?"

Matthias said, "not if you keep speaking with grammar like that." And corrected his English.

"Matt, you are pushing me too hard!" Xue Ge whined.

"come on sit straight. you have to do it."

"I don't care, I cannot already! At least, give me chocolates again," Xue ge pleaded.

Jennifer's eyebrow twitched. Is he asking Matt to pamper him?

"are you sure. i was trying to fade that out," Matt said.

"I don't care already. I want I want I want!"

"alright fine."

Jennifer nearly fell out of her chair when Matt pulled out a packet of M&Ms. "Matt, you're going to reward him with an M&M every time he answers correctly, right?"

"close. i'm going to reward him every time he exhibits attentive behaviours. i will praise behaviours that indicate that he is paying attention and trying his best. such as obey instructions and sit at attention," Matt said.

He slid a list of rewardable behaviours in front of Xue Ge.

"I really don't think that's appropriate Matt," Jenn said.

"Haiyer... What's the problem now?" Xue Ge asked.

I cannot even count the number of problems here, Jenn thought. "Xue Ge, Matt is using classic Lovaas-style A-B-A. It's a teaching technique used for training people with autism."

"...So? I get chocolate right?" Xue Ge had spoken in Mandarin.

"...autism and dogs. DOGS, Xue Ge. You're trading your dignity for chocolates," Jennifer said with emphasis.

"What is dignity?" Xue Ge asked.

"Face. Eating chocolates like a dog makes you lose face." Jenn was sure that would convince him.

"Really?" Xue Ge's eyes widened briefly, then he eyed the bag of M&Ms. "...No lah, I don't see how it would."

You really don't see how or you just want to eat chocolates? Jenn fumed, Pig!

Matt, "i may be able to understand some Mandarin now but practice your English while you're with us Xue Ge."

"Yes, teacher. I try remember."

"i will try to remember," Matt said.

"I will try to remember."

"Thank you for correcting yourself. Have an M&M." Matt pressed an M&M into Xue Ge's waiting lips.

I knew it! I called it from the start! Jenn said, "Can you at least not feed him M&Ms like he's a dog Matt?"

Or your lover.

In response, Matt and Xue Ge stuck out their tongues at her.

"alright let's continue. sit straight... Good sitting." Matt rewarded him with another M&M, direct to his mouth.