Chapter 13 Nuclear

Monday, Feb 11

Jennifer wasn't normally in school this early. Her mum had to travel outstation for work in the wee hours of the morning, so Jennifer was dropped off that much earlier. She headed for the canteen first (devoid of students at this hour), sat down, and took out a book to read.

Not one line was read before she put the book down again. That's right, I should check out if Matt is here yet. He'll be feeding birds by the sports equipment shed.

So Jennifer kept her book and walked to the sports shed. She took her time as she drowned herself in her own thoughts.

When Matthias Williams had first arrived three years ago, the teacher asked for a volunteer to be his "peer mentor". But Jennifer hadn't put up her hand. Unlike the other girls, Jennifer realised the significance of the term 'peer mentor'. Exotic coloured eyes or facial features weren't enough to persuade Jennifer to go through that much trouble. And just as she predicted, one by one Matt's peer mentors dropped out, leaving him alone.

But one day, just like this one, Jennifer had arrived early in school and wanted to check the volleyball equipment.

How long has it been since I watched Matt feed pigeons? Or purposely came to school early to help him feed?

Jennifer smiled to herself. Matt was always an early bird himself; he had purposely chosen the time when the birds were most active. It was then she knew there was more to Matt than a mute kid with no interest in anyone or anything.

Matt had really grown since then. Everyone still remembers him as the kid who doesn't speak or look people in the eyes, but that's not really true anymore. Jennifer couldn't take all the credit, of course; god knows Puan Afeen and the private tutors worked hard with him. But Jennifer would like to think that her hard work and kindness had paid off. If nothing else, she had worked hard to dissuade all the bullies. And as she got to know him better, she gradually fell for that simple yet earnest and honest young man. Maybe for 2 years now.

Her smile faded. But as much as he likes me, not once has he looked at me. At least, not like *that*. That smile was always reserved for someone else.

Jennifer was getting closer to the sports shed when she stopped short.

#

The bell rang, and the students lined up at the basketball court for morning gathering. When Jennifer appeared to join her classmates, most of them were already there. She stood next to Matt, just behind Xue Ge and Chee Yok.

"good morning Jenn. you're later than usual today. teacher's not here yet," Matthias said.

"Overslept," Jenn responded, "Glad to see you too Matt."

The teacher arrived, and the prefect gave the word for everyone to sing the national anthem. While they sang, another teacher joined the gathering. This teacher had an unkempt beard and was wearing a white 'kopiah' (often worn by someone who has completed the hajj). Probably the ustadz.

After the singing came the announcements. Among them, "Matthias Williams. Please stay back after morning gathering."

So Matt stayed in place as his classmates marched off to their class. As they walked, Xue Ge left Chee Yok a moment and tapped Wati on the shoulder. "That was the Islamic Education teacher right? Think he's who wants to see Matt?"

"That's him. But Matt isn't attending Islamic Education this month. So I don't see why--"

"Yes, I'm sure he wants to see Matt," Rahman interrupted, "The ustadz was really angry that Matt didn't attend Friday prayers again."