Chapter 29 Resolve

S̶u̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶p̶,̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶2̶1̶  Vacation, day 21

Matthias answered his phone while the other kids and Fatimah waited together. They had shifted to the hotel yesterday for safety reasons since the shelter was compromised. Each of them had separate rooms, but right now they were in a private lounge.

"alright. thank you Zeke. i'll see you later." Matt ended the call and turned to the rest.

"How?" Xue Ge asked.

Matt gave a thumbs up. "mission accomplished."

The kids cheered in unison.

"I don't get it, but congratulations," Fatimah said.

"Thank you, Fatimah. This was really crucial. We have real chance now," Bolin said,

"I still don't really get it either honestly," Chee Yok said.

"Whatever it is, it's clearly big enough cause to celebrate," Jennifer said.

Xue Ge grinned from ear to ear. "Good! I got idea."

#

5-star hotel quality Japanese food was a real treat after so many days of the meagre portions at the shelter. The kids laughed and chatted with Fatimah and ate greedily. Zeke, their host, had plenty of embarrassing stories of Matt's childhood to tell the kids, much to Matt's chagrin. But he didn't mind so much when he realised his friends, especially Xue Ge, were enjoying hearing the lighter side of his past. Happier times.

As it got later, Zeke and Fatimah turned in. Xue Ge, Bolin and Chee Yok split off from Matt and Jenn to go to a karaoke lounge. Matt and Jenn continued to have desserts at the restaurant.

Matthias was having chocolate ice-cream. "i wonder why they wanted some time without us."

Jenn was having dorayaki. "They had something to talk about. You said you wanted to talk about something as well?"

Matt nodded, but took his time to breach the subject. "this solution of Xue Ge's. nothing but friends. don't you feel unsatisfied with it."

"It's the best solution under the circumstances."

"would the three of us really split up if he chooses one or the other."

"Well. We already know I couldn't take it. Losing both of you was too much for me."

"but you won't actually lose us."

"Not as friends. But I'm human Matt. I want to be loved too."

"i don't really understand but i'll take your word for it."

Jenn continued eating, then swallowed. "What about you? You didn't seem too great when you thought Xue Ge had succeeded in wooing me either."

"i thought i'd be fine. i still don't understand my feelings back then."

"Well, what went through your mind?"

"i thought if i were a woman like you maybe i'd have a chance. i wouldn't lose to you. i couldn't get that thought out of my head. it felt horrible."

"That's jealousy, Matt," Jenn explained. Her eyes were gentle.

"a bloody useless emotion is what it is. i hate it. i want to reject it."

"Don't say that, Matt," Jenn said gently, "Don't try to dehumanise yourself. Just deal with your emotions naturally."

"what would this natural manner of dealing with such pain be."