Chapter 11 Open Season

The school day had just ended when Jennifer pulled Xue Ge aside.

"Why ah? Today got no study group or training, correct or not?" Xue Ge asked.

"Not that. Just wanted to ask if you understood what I told you that day. About him." Jenn's eyes were motioning to Matthias.

"Yes, I know already. I know what you meant."

Jenn squinted her eyes at Xue Ge. "Are you sure? If you really understood, then how come you still behave the same way?"

Xue ge squinted back. "What do you mean?"

Jennifer let go of Xue Ge. "Nevermind. Forget I said anything."

Xue Ge couldn't figure out what the fuss was about, and decided to forget about it.

#

Chinese New Year was a pretty important time for Xue Ge's family, more so than the average Chinese family. For the whole 15 days, his parents would lock up the house to make their home seem deserted. For the first few days, Xue Ge would go on a visiting spree of relatives to collect Ang Pow. Most of the money would be taken by his parents, but Xue Ge always secretly held back some for himself.

On the following days, Xue Ge was less co-operative. He would refuse to bring his sister along on his visiting rounds with his old friends from Guang Ho, much to his parent's chagrin.

The general idea of the visiting rounds was for the boys to visit each other's homes. But they had been friends long enough to know that Xue Ge's house was off-limits. The first house to visit was Bolin's.

"hello Xue Ge."

Xue Ge sort of spaced out when he saw Matthias sitting next to Bolin. Bolin waved timidly at Xue Ge, looking like he got caught doing something very naughty.

"Xue Ge. i said hello," Matt said.

"Hello Matt. I surprised to see you," Xue Ge replied, and looked meaningfully at Bolin.

But Bolin didn't respond, and just looked away.

Bolin's mum however said, "Xue Ge, didn't you know? Bolin has been studying English like mad the past few days. I thought he found a girl he likes. Turns out to be a new friend. Right Matthew?"

Right. A new friend, Xue Ge mused.

"auntie. Wǒ de míngzì shì Matthias, bùshì Matthew. Duìbùqǐ." Matt said to Bolin's mum. To Xue Ge, "Bolin also offered to take me along when you guys go on your visiting rounds later."

"Riding Bolin's motorbike?" Xue Ge said, "He so kind wan hor. So VERY kind."

Bolin just stared at the table.

The rest of the guys soon arrived. As they chatted in Mandarin (about Ang Pow, football and girls mostly), Matt and Bolin were mostly quiet. Acting as a good host, Bolin picked up a box of Chinese New Year biscuits and offered it to everyone by the box.

To Matthias however, Bolin took out a few biscuits by hand. Then he held them out to offer them to Matt.

Xue Ge Hrm-ed to himself.

Bolin also served everyone drinks, placing a cup in front of everyone.

To Matthias however, Bolin held out the cup to Matt until Matt took it.

Xue Ge Hrmmm-ed.

Bolin served out tissue paper to everyone.

Then personally wiped Matthias's hands.