Chapter 28 Negotiations

Zeke, Xue Ge and Jennifer sat in the limo, looking grimly at each other. The bikini girls were thankfully not present.

Zeke's arms were crossed. "My terms are reasonable. My son stays with me. His mother can follow if she so chooses."

"And the rights as Matt's legal guardian?" Jenn queried.

"He's staying with me. As his father, I obviously need to make decisions as his guardian," Zeke confirmed.

"Matt will never agree to your terms. Please reconsider," Jenn asked.

"I don't think I have set any conditions which are unreasonable."

"If you really care about him, you should respect his wishes," Jenn said.

"What about my wishes? He is my son. I want him back. That is my right as a father."

Jenn grit her teeth. "Fine. We'll tell him."

"And one more thing," Zeke said, "I won't speak to anyone other than my son from now on. He needs to ask me himself. It's about time he pays me the respect I am due."

"Who want respect you, stupid jerk?" Xue Ge spat out.

"I paid for his livelihood until he was 11. I am going to save him in his time of need. Clearly I deserve respect. But I don't need to explain myself to you. Get out or I'll have you brought out," Zeke threatened.

Xue Ge answered Zeke with a right hook.

Men in black immediately burst into the car, dragging him and Jennifer out.

"Don't touch her!" Xue Ge screamed, struggling against them.

"Mark my words. I WILL have my son." Zeke shouted back at the kids. He closed the door, then rubbed his sore cheek. "And my wife will follow."

#

Eventually, the convoy left. Before they did, a man in black left contact details. And a note, which said: "It's the only way. Accept it."

Jennifer tore up the note but kept the contact details. When she got back in the house, she could see suitcases lining up the hallways. The ladies were moving in and out, carrying various items and packing them up. Fatimah and the boys were watching them work.

"What's going on here?" Jenn asked.

"They're leaving," Fatimah said, "The bank transfer was done. But I can't stand the sight of them."

The ladies looked pretty miserable. Some were holding back tears as they packed up.

"you're being too harsh on them Fatimah. no normal person could have resisted that money," Matt said.

Fatimah huffed. "I did. I saw the offer too, you know. It was all over the internet. But I ignored it."

"But you're special, Fatimah. A true lady," Chee Yok said.

Fatimah smiled. "Always a charmer. But it's better this way. I have to abandon this shelter. And they can handle themselves now that they have money."

Matt looked at the ladies. "but they're so sad now."

"They should be," Fatimah said.

Xue Ge looked at Matt, patted him on the back. Then Xue Ge stood up and 'WOI!'-ed loudly to get everyone's attention.

To the ladies, he said, "Please. Exchange number. Visit us again."

Jenn smiled and pointed at Fatimah, "Especially this grumpy woman here. She'll want to know that you're all doing well."