Chapter 28 Negotiations

Start from the beginning

Chee Yok smiled. "That's right. You better not forget any of us."

Bolin was NOT smiling. "But one condition: help someone else first. Otherwise don't come back."

Matt nodded. "then tell us about it. please."

The ladies had gathered around and gave the kids hugs, crying and exchanging numbers. They promised to make themselves available to anybody who needed help.

Even Fatimah allowed herself to be hugged. "Alright, fine. This is good too."

Matt was obviously pleased. "everyone deserves a second chance."

Jenn raised an eyebrow. "Even your father?"

Matthias didn't answer.

Jenn tried again. "Matt?"

"yes even my father," Matt said finally, "if he'd only take it instead of playing the jerk again."

#

It was time to go home for Jenn, Bolin and Chee Yok. Bolin sent Chee Yok back as usual. Matt saw them off, as well as Xue Ge and Jenn as they got on Xue Ge's motorbike.

Just as Xue Ge was about to start his bike, Jennifer held his shoulder and showed him the note. "Wait. Bring me to this address instead."

Xue Ge looked at the address. "What? Why ar?"

Matt looked at the address too. "the hotel. i should come too."

Jenn shook her head. "Just me and Xue Ge. I'm going to make this right."

"how--"

"I can do this. By tonight, I'll have your father redeem himself," Jenn promised.

As they rode to the hotel, Jennifer cursed herself silently. I said that so confidently, but it was only to convince them. I have no such faith in myself. I'm just acting out of desperation.

She slapped herself. No regrets. I need to focus on the task ahead. I'm going to talk down the world's biggest greatest spoilt brat.

When they arrived outside the hotel, Jennifer got down and stopped Xue Ge from doing the same. "I have to speak to him myself."

"Sure or not?"

Xue Ge is too brash to be of use here. "Please. I have to do this," Jenn said.

Xue Ge obeyed and wandered off.

A door man held the glass door open for Jenn as she walked in. The air was cool from tightly controlled air-conditioning, the floors and walls covered in large marble tiles. A live performance of traditional instruments was on-going, the music somehow adapted to the classy ambience of the hotel. Tourists who were obviously filthy rich lounged around. Jennifer even spotted a few sarong party girls.

Jennifer, a teenager in school uniform, was clearly out of place. She steeled herself to approach the reception. There, Jennifer asked to send a message to Ezekiel Williams, that Jennifer had come to see him.

"Anything else?" the reception asked.

Jennifer considered. "Tell him, I can help him convince his son."

#

They sat at a private lounge at the hotel.

Zeke was smiling. Confident. "I already said I won't speak to anyone but my son."

Jenn was also smiling. Faking confidence. "Yet here we are."

"Well, you gave an interesting proposal," Zeke conceded, "Smart young woman. I should employ you when you grow up."