38. Surprise Mother Fucker

Start from the beginning

I tossed on my last pair of loose black jeans that still fit then went on the hunt for a matching pair of socks.

"I mean I'm pretty sure Wes is going to love you no matter what. Although I haven't decided on what you'll call all of us yet...hmm," I think out loud while shuffling through underneath the bed in search of socks. Eventually settling on going barefoot after a few seconds cause I'm hungry as fuck.

Once I stepped foot outside the bedroom, the familiar smell of sweet french toast reached my nose and my stomach instantly gurgled to the scent.

I nearly jogged down the hallway and down the stairs only to be shocked by the sight of my dad and sister in our kitchen cooking piles of deliciousness. 

"SURPRISE!"

A group containing all my favorite people shouted in unison as I slowly made my way down to the bottom step.

Appa sat at the kitchen island with a slice of bacon in hand as he shouted alongside Thomas and Milo. The two stood under a small pink flag style banner that read baby shower with a large stack of wrapped presents and a small table with all sorts of sweets and girly decorations.

Amongst everyone, little Houston was acting like he was possessed as he ran around to try to say hello to everyone.

"So this is what you were up to. I knew you were acting suspicious" I chuckle and Thomas smiles brightly.

"I just thought since we have next to nothing for the little one, that I'd invite everyone over. Like a baby shower house warming," Thomas explains as I go into the kitchen and hug my dad.

"Well thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I thought I was going to have to buy a babies-R-Us or something," I snort and hug Appa as well. Letting him kiss my cheek as he pulls me into a tight hug. So tight that he could probably feel his granddaughter putting up a fight.

"Wow, she's so active. How does it feel?" He asked as I stole the bacon from his hand.

"Feels like I'm pregnant with a ninja in training. What else is new?" I asked and he laughs.

"Its karma for your own hyperactiveness." He chuckles when he sees the pout I'm making. My sister comes next and gently runs her hand over my now protruding stomach.

"So you're the reason why my brother's been such a lil bitch huh?" She asks the fetus and kisses my cheek.

"You still haven't told us what her name is," Dad points out as we all set the table together for breakfast and sit down.

I sit at the head of the table with Thomas on one side and Appa on the other while Houston licked my toes and Jayde finally took a break from kicking.

"Her name is Jaydean Arabella Grayson but we've been calling her Jayde for short," I announce to my closest family and best friend while piling the French toast onto my plate.

"That's such a beautiful name. Matthias, Thomas, and Jaydean," Appa sighs lovingly and Dad looks away from me.

"You alright dad?" I asked and Appa turned to wrap his arm around his husband's shoulder. Thomas gently runs my thigh under the table and I suddenly know why my dad is like this.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You just really reminded me of Taehyung for a second there when he told us about Mahina," dad confesses and I bite the edge of my bottom lip, thinking of the night my older brother and his husband told us they were having a little girl via surrogacy.

"I wish he was here," I found myself saying out loud.

My older brother was like the sunshine in everyone's lives. He could walk into any room and his warm smile would light up your life no matter what situation you found yourself in.

With a ten year age difference, he loved my sister and I unconditionally and taught us both life lessons that we still use to this day and ones I'll pass down to Jayde.

"He'll always be here in spirit," Kai added with a small smile and Dad wiped the tears from his eyes.

"Anyway, don't mind me. Jaydean is beautiful and I can't believe we have another granddaughter. Girls are so rare in our family that I'm sure all your uncles are jealous," he hints and we all start eating.

After breakfast, Thomas and I took the time to unwrap enough blankets and clothing to keep Jaydean nice and toasty for a year. There were more diapers than I could count and enough baby bottles to fill the fridge with milk.

Later that night, Thomas sat with my dad and I watched from the doorway as the two started setting up the crib together.

That was until they found out we needed a screw driver.

"How do we own a whole farm and not a single screw driver babe?" I asked the tool master over here and Thomas rolled his eyes.

"I don't know but I'm going to go to home depot and pick one up really quick. Do you need anything?" He asked and I gently pecked his lips as he grabbed the keys to the truck.

"No baby, just don't take too long or get any crazy building ideas," I warn and he laughs with that stupid dimple driving me crazy and making me kiss him again.

"I won't. I promise, I'll be back in like 30 minuets or so," He assures me before grabbing his jacket and leaving.

While he was gone, Houston and I showed my family around the farmhouse. Telling them our plans on starting with a few chickens and seeing where that goes.

Two hours passed by and after spending the day in an excited blur of baby things, my dad built a fire in our living room fireplace and we all curled up around it.

"Are you ready to be a dad?" Milo asked and I curled my legs up to my chest.

"I dunno. I don't think anyone ever ready to be a father. All I know is I love my baby and I'm ready to take care of her no matter what," I sigh, checking my phone for updates from Thomas. I only got a 'heading home now,' about an hour ago.

After googling how long it takes to get to home depot, I realized he should have been here thirty minutes ago.

Maybe he took a stop along the way or got caught in traffic?

"Well you could barely keep a fish alive, so I'm glad Thomas is here to help you with the baby and you're not alone," Kailani comments and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I'll have you know, the death of Gizmo and Copper was your fault cause you dropped the food in the tank," I remind her and she crosses her arms.

"Oh yeah? When did you feed Houston?" She asks and my eyes open wide as I look over at my poor starving baby.

"Fuck," I cursed under my breath and quickly hopped up to get his food.

"Come Houston! Let's eat,"

Another hour passed and my dad looked out the window as the sun was starting to set.

"Where's Thomas?" He asked and I checked my phone. There were no updates since he told me he was on his way back.

"I don't know," I quickly called him but his phone went straight to voicemail which started to worry me.

"I think his phone died or something," I tell him and my dad slowly backed away from the window.

"Matthias," he called my full name with a hint of fear in his voice and I got chills that ran down my spine.

I stood up and walked over to the window, but before I did we heard the sirens before we saw the flashing lights.

Confused, I ran up to the front door before the police officers could knock and yanked it open.

"Are you Matthias Grayson?" They asked and unable to talk, I slowly nodded. The two officers looked at each other and I gulped.

"We're here to talk to you about your significant other, Thomas Jackson. He was in a motor vehicle accident this evening and we're sorry to inform you..." 

.............................

😳

RIP