“Jon and I were arguing over who should have the last cup of coffee this morning and when I tried to steal it from him I spilled it.” 

“On your laptop?” Ryan deadpanned. 

“Yeah,” Brendon said quietly. “I didn’t mean to but…” 

Ryan shook his head; Brendon’s eyes looked so sad and upset but Ryan knew that it had been his own fault for fucking up his laptop. Were he not so greedy he would still have his laptop and ultimately his song. Nonetheless, Ryan couldn’t help but take pity on him so he said, “I’ll download it for you after dinner okay?” 

“But Ryan!” Brendon moaned, “I want it now.” 

“But Brendon!” Ryan mocked, beginning to put away the things he removed from the sacks on the counter. “You’ll have to wait.” 

“Ugh, why?” 

“Because I’m starving and I’d like to sit down and do nothing for a change, alright? Just,” Ryan sighed, realizing that he was getting a bit short with the boy next to him. “Just be patient okay? I’ll fix some spaghetti and after we eat I’ll-” 

“Dammit, Ryan! Stop being such an ass!” he yelled, voice powerful and impatient and just plain cold. 

Ryan didn’t want to pretend like that hadn’t cut him deep but he slowly turned and looked at Brendon with narrowed eyes. “I’ll stop being an ass when you stop being so selfish,” he said as if presenting a challenge. 

And really, at that point, Brendon knew he was being selfish. He could see the way Ryan was moving about sluggishly and at some time in their argument he had heard the thin boy’s stomach rumble with hunger. He almost felt bad about it. But he was too selfish to admit he was in the wrong and only continued to pester. 

“Ryan,” Brendon said slowly, in as soft and innocent a voice he could muster while Ryan began preparing their meal. Ryan picked up on Brendon’s intention and shook his head. “Ryan,” Brendon repeated, a little more pathetically, fixing his face up nice and pitiful like before stepping in front of the boy trying desperately to ignore him “Ryan, please?” he asked. 

“No, Brendon. Not right now,” Ryan said carefully. He was trying to settle his anger and not snap at what Brendon was obviously attempting to do. 

“Ryan,” Brendon said once more in a tone that almost made Ryan crack. It bled with I’m Sorry and I Didn’t Mean To Make You Mad, Please Forgive Me? and it was all Ryan could do not to give in. But Brendon needed to learn that being selfish wasn’t something that he was going to get away with, especially when it came to Ryan. He turned on the tap and filled the pot with water before turning to set it on the stove to boil. “Ry-” 

“Brendon!” Ryan yelled, slamming the pot on the stove so hard that water sloshed out of the side and it hissed as it came in contact with the hot surface below. “I’m sick of this!” He rounded on Brendon with a scowl on his face and fire in his eyes and said, “Get out.” 

Brendon spat a harsh, “Fuck you” over his shoulder as he pounded back to his bunk in anger. He didn’t even eat dinner. 

---- 

“Oh my god, Brendon! What’s wrong?” Ryan sounds panicked and scared and he’s totally not above patting Brendon down for wounds if he doesn’t say something soon instead of looking up at him like a deer in the headlights. 

Brendon says, What’s wrong with my voice?! Only it vocalizes as, “Ryan, Ryan!” 

Ryan grows even more terrified when he sees Brendon clutching at his throat as if he can’t breathe. “Brendon, are you choking?” Ryan demands, voice high up in the rafters and he’s fucking afraid right now.