forty three

June 27th, 2017

"Happy eighteenth!"

Lauren smiles as her mother sits down on her bed, holding out a cake. Her dad is obviously using his phone to record them, and Lauren knows that a video of her, half asleep and blowing out her candles, will likely surface on social media later.

(Whatever, at least it's only going out to her dad's fifteen followers and not millions of fans.)

She lets her family sing happy birthday to her, before she blows out her candles, murmuring a small, morning, guys. Her mom gives the cake to her dad to take downstairs, her siblings following, before she smiles and says, "Camila is here. She didn't come up because she said she didn't want to intrude on family time."

Lauren beams, but doesn't make a move to get up, because she's kind of shirtless and she doesn't exactly want her mom to see that. Once Clara excuses herself downstairs, Lauren breathes a sigh of relief and pushes her blankets off, stretching.

Naturally, Camila chooses that moment to walk into the room, her cheeks flushing bright red and her eyes widening. She's staring, but it doesn't bother Lauren; it's nothing Camila hasn't seen before. Instead, she stands up, quickly steps into her unicorn onesie, and sends her girlfriend a smile. "Hey, Camz."

"I- um, yes," Camila answers, blinking quickly, as if she's trying to erase the image from her mind. Either that or take a mental picture. "Birthday- I mean- um, happy birthday."

Lauren smiles. "Thanks, babe. I appreciate you coming over."

"Well, um, you said you wanted to spend your birthday with me," Camila murmurs, shrugging, "so... here I am."

Lauren hums happily, and stands up, nodding over to the bathroom. "I'm going to go brush my teeth so I can give you a proper greeting."

Camila turns bright red again, but nods, and Lauren flashes her another smile before she disappears into the bathroom, grabbing her toothbrush and brushing her teeth. She skips her usual moisturising routine, knowing she'll regret it later, but promising herself she'll drink a lot of water today in the hopes it'll ward off any pimples.

She leaves her bathroom and practically pounces on Camila, pulling her in for a kiss. "Now there's the proper way to start my birthday."

Camila blushes, biting down on her bottom lip. "Um... so, what's the plan for today?"

"Well..." Lauren pauses in thought, "I don't know, really. We're not doing anything in the daytime, not until five, when I'm going for a family meal. That'll be done at about seven, probably. Then I've got a stash of alcohol for us to share. I made sure to get a lot, and my parents supplied some, but if they ask, they supplied it all."

"Why so much alcohol?" Camila asks. "I mean, I know it's your eighteenth, but..."

"The girls are coming over," Lauren says, "for like, a little party. I wanted a party, but with my family home, it's just not a smart thing to do. Unless I want my mom kicking everyone out by ten-thirty because she needs her beauty sleep."

(She doesn't mention that her parents had offered to let her have a proper party, and she'd said no, because she knew Camila wouldn't be there.)

Camila laughs a little. "Okay. Well, um, as long as you want me there, I'll stay for your little party with the girls. I don't think I'll drink, though."

Lauren smiles. "Guess you've got to look after me when I inevitably take too many shots at once because it's not doing anything, and then they all hit me at the same time."