twenty four

February 14th, 2017

"Hey, Lauren."

Lauren turns around at her locker, quirking her eyebrows up in surprise at the guy who walks up to her. "Uh... hey. Keaton, right?"

"Yeah," Keaton says, holding out a card, "I figured since you're single now, this is the best time to give you this. Happy Valentine's Day."

Lauren looks down at the card and bites down on her bottom lip, already hating how awkward this situation is about to become. "Um... that's really sweet and everything, but I'm kind of... seeing someone."

"Oh," Keaton frowns. "You have a boyfriend? Or- uh, a girlfriend?"

"Well, I mean, not technically," Lauren admits, because it's not like Camila had asked her, or vice versa. "But she's really special to me, so it wouldn't be fair to either you or her if I took whatever you're giving me. But thank you for the gesture."

Keaton frowns a little, but nods. "Alright. No harm in trying, right?"

Before she can respond, he walks away, so she shrugs the encounter off and digs through her locker for the textbook she needs. She wasn't expecting anything today; even though she doesn't mind Valentine's Day as a concept, she doesn't know how Camila feels about it, and the only person she'd want for a valentine is Camila.

She's closing her locker when someone clears their throat behind her, and she turns to see the girl she'd been thinking about. "Hey, Camz."

"Hi," Camila says, rocking nervously on her heels, "so, um, I have something to ask you."

Lauren raises her eyebrows. "Really?"

"Mhm," Camila nods, not meeting her eyes, "I- well, willyoubemyvalentine?"

Camila gets it out in all one word, and it takes a moment for Lauren to decipher it. "You want me to be your valentine?"

"Yeah," Camila stammers, producing a small rose from behind her back, "I didn't know if you'd want a bouquet or anything, because some people think flowers are kind of a pointless present, which I do, because it's not like you can eat them, and I was walking to school since Dinah didn't give me a ride because I wanted to go and get something for you, and then I saw this old woman selling roses, and I thought I'd get one for you. But- um, yeah. Will you? Be my valentine, I mean?"

Lauren takes the rose from Camila with a smile. "I'd be honoured, Camz."

Camila squeals and pounces on Lauren in a koala hug. Lauren just smiles and buries her face into Camila's shoulder, her heart warm.

"Okay, so, now that you've said yes," Camila says as she pulls away, "I was thinking about taking you out for dinner, but then I realised that everywhere will be packed, and loads of straight people will be doing gross couple stuff, and I don't want to see that. So I thought you could come over tonight? We could get takeout and watch dumb romcoms and make fun of them."

"Sounds perfect," Lauren smiles, taking Camila's hand as they walk down the hallway, "I didn't peg you as a Valentine's Day person. I thought you'd be more into hating the holiday than celebrating it."

"Usually I am," Camila admits, "but this is the first Valentine's Day I've had where I'm dating the hottest girl in school, so..."

Lauren puts on a frown. "You're dating yourself?"

"Oh, shut up," Camila rolls her eyes, "you're not allowed to hijack my compliments."

"I mean, I can do what I want," Lauren announces, "how do you plan on stopping me?"