thirty eight

posting early bc of the alcohol plans in the last chapter maybe i'll drunkenly reply to comments later who knows

-

May 24th, 2017

Lauren shoulders her backpack as she walks out of the exam room, wondering why the hell she had to remember everything before her senior exams. She'd much rather be blissfully unaware of her own presence during her exam period, because the last thing she wants to do is schoolwork when she graduated years ago.

She pauses outside the exam room and digs through her backpack for her phone. She's thinking about texting Camila, to see whether she wants to meet up and do something, when the exam room door opens and Normani walks out. Her best friend smiles at her, but it's much weaker than usual.

Lauren chuckles lightly as she turns her phone on. "Judging by that expression, I'd say you don't think the exam went well?"

Normani blinks in surprise, before forcing her smile even more. "I- yeah. That's it."

Lauren shoots her a comforting smile. "Don't worry about it, Mani. You're smart. You'll have killed it, even if you think you haven't."

"Sure," Normani comments, as Lauren swings her backpack over her shoulder, "what are you doing now?"

"Nothing. I was going to text Camz and see if she was interested in meeting, but if you want to do something instead..." Lauren trails off, waiting for the invite, but Normani doesn't say anything, so she awkwardly finishes her sentence with, "that's cool."

Normani watches her for a few moments, but nods easily. "Sure. We could go grab some ice cream on the beach or something..."

Lauren grins. "I think that'd be the perfect reward after that hellish exam."

Normani follows her out to the car, and Lauren thinks to herself while they're walking. Normani and Ally were just as big a part of Fifth Harmony as she, Camila and Dinah were. It'd be weird if they just didn't show up here.

Or maybe they already have, Lauren thinks to herself, maybe they're just trapped inside their own heads, like Dinah and I were. She decides she's going to keep an eye on them, even if she hasn't seen any real signs yet.

She's mostly in her own head on the drive to the beach, humming along to the music on the radio, and Normani seems the same way. She's quiet and contemplative, but Lauren lets her think, knowing that she always liked to think over exams after they'd happened.

She parks easily, and they head towards Lauren's favourite ice cream parlour; she's thankful that it's still there, even in this alternate universe. They head inside, and Lauren nods towards the table. "You go sit. I can buy us both an ice cream."

Normani frowns at her, "are you sure?"

"Positive, Mani," Lauren smiles, "you're my best friend and you look more than a little upset about that exam, so..."

Normani nods, and takes a seat at a table, and Lauren goes to the counter, ordering two sundaes; one cookies and cream and one strawberry. She pays, and takes the sundaes over to the table, putting the cookies and cream one in front of Normani and keeping the strawberry one for herself. She passes her friend a spoon and sends her a small smile, before she digs in.

"So," Lauren says after she's easily demolished half her ice cream, "how have you been? I feel like I've barely seen you lately."

"I've just been... busy," Normani says, "you know, studying and stuff. You've been busy too."

Lauren feels reasonably chastised. She'd always promised herself she'd never be the girl who'd ditch her friends for a boyfriend; it should be the same with a girlfriend too. She sends her best friend an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I've just... I don't know, there's been some drama with Camila, and I was really focused on sorting it all out. I didn't mean to neglect our friendship."