Chapter 9

Maximus and Claudia spend half of the next day dressing me up appropriately and making me rehearse over and over again my lines as a business woman.

“Mr. Humphrey. It’s a pleasure meeting you, I’m Isobel Smith, an established photographer from VampMedia, I’m representing my news team to request your permission for access to the Prince Vampire…” I relay my lines for the hundredth time back to Maximus and Claudia, sitting on the edge of Maximus’ bed with my hands clasped in my lap.

“Always maintain steady eye contact,” Claudia reminds me, “It’s more professional.”

“Well it’s not my fault Maximus is looking at me like that,” I snap, my face feels a little stiff from all the makeup Claudia packed onto it. My blonde hair was equally as stiff, full of hair spray to keep the curls in place.

Claudia sighs impatiently and looks at Maximus, who returns her glare with a raised eyebrow.

“Stop looking at her like you want to eat her,” Claudia growls, a fang showing off dangerously in a half snarl, “She and Raphael are our only hope.”

“Isobel’s mine,” Maximus says for the thousandth time today. He felt a need to say it whenever he deemed necessary, “I can look at her anyway I like. And she is ready enough now, she knows the lines. Darling,” he looks at me, “All you have to do is –”

Find Darrius. I know. Once I have his location, you guys will know where he is as well from the tracker you placed on the belt I’m wearing,” I tap the belt with my hand, which was clinched at my waist, holding a skin tight grey dress even tighter against my body. I also had black boots and tights to compliment the outfit.

“Good girl,” Maximus smiles, “She’s ready.”

“Don’t stuff it up, we’re counting on you,” Claudia looks at me with pleading eyes, “And I know you don’t have much to motivate you on this, I know you don’t want to be here, but I can help you deal with Maximus when you get back. I’ll teach you all the little ways to piss him off –” Claudia is grinning now and I let a hint of a smile show through. Maximus cuts her off with a growl.

“That is not going to happen,” Maximus stands up and holds out his hand towards me for me to grab. I ignore it and stand by myself. Claudia follows and reaches out to put her arm around my shoulders to place me on the other side of her so Claudia is separating me from Maximus as we walk out of the room.

“Are you ready?” Claudia asks me.

“Yep,” I reply, laughing internally as I notice Maximus’ irritation towards Claudia.

“Good, offer as high as forty thousand if you need to,” she reminds me.

“I got it.”

As we walk out into the hallway, Johnathan, Darrius’ brother is walking down the hall towards us. When Claudia sees him she suddenly leaves my side to meet Johnathan halfway.

“We’re all ready for the plan!” She says happily to him, and Johnathan smiles back and hugs her… while Maximus uses the opportunity to come close to my side.

“Darling,” he says, trying to get my attention. He puts his hand on the small of my back and I try not to acknowledge how nice it feels, “Look at me Isobel,” I look up at him, giving him a raised eyebrow.

“What do you want?” I ask, glaring at him.

His hand reaches up and tugs on one of my curls.

“Behave,” he scolds, “I just wanted to say thank you.”

“I don’t want your thanks,” I snap back. He gives me a disapproving look and I just return it with one of my own.

“We’ll have a proper chit-chat when you get back, shall we darling? About how humans don’t speak back to the vampires that own them,” I’m about to hiss back that he doesn’t own me when Johnathan interrupts.

“Come on guys,” he says, “I’ve got the transport ready and a human to drive her.”

Later we’ll talk,” Maximus reminds me again, eyeing my neck with longing eyes.

I look away from his irritatingly gorgeous face and look towards Claudia who gives me a sympathetic smile.

“Let’s go, your friend needs my help,” I smooth my dress over and start walking again.

It was show time.