Chapter 31

As I am escorted to my new room, we turn down into the corridor where Darrius and Xavier's rooms are and I spot Jaime and Raphael out in the corridor. I hadn't properly spoken to them before but I wave anyway and while Jaime nods in my direction I notice that she is looking highly tense.

I realise they are waiting outside Darrius' room.

I wonder what was happening?

"Your new room is just opposite Prince Darrius' room," the vampire escorting me directs me to the door and I come really close to Jaime and Raphael. So I decide I better say something.

"Jaime," I say her name as the vampire puts a key into the door and opens it up for me, "I heard you and Jennifer were attacked by some witch, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Jaime nods, "Jennifer is the one that is in trouble..." Suddenly Darrius' door opens and I see Maximus walk out, wearing his black leather pants, with wet hair and glistening skin.

Why the heck did he have a shower in–?

Oh my god.

Jennifer.

I knew he had a thing for her – or at least was interested. I instantly feel jealousy but I keep a blank expression and just stare at Maximus.

Everyone is tense; as he stares me back down I quickly turn towards my escorting vampire.

"Come on in," the vampire says, welcoming me into my new room.

"Thank you," I nod to him and smile and then look at Jaime, "I'll probably see you around."

"Okay," Jaime nods, and I turn around, ignoring Maximus. The vampire passes me the key and turns to leave. Then I quickly walk into my new room.

I notice Maximus isn't connecting with me mentally or verbally and I try to ignore how that makes my heart feel like it's starting to break. Did he really not care for me anymore? Maybe he just always preferred Jennifer and her sweet ways.

I try to clamp down on my jealousy and I look around, properly taking in the room the King said I could have. My eyes widen in awe and adoration at how beautiful the room was. The floor was marble, white with black strips and a big furry black matt under the humongous bed with dark red covers.

The room was pretty empty except for the huge bed, a fire place and one wall lined with some old looking weapons. There was also a chandelier, an adjoining bathroom and an old wooden wardrobe.

I loved it.

I look down at the key in my hand and decide I should probably close the door and lock it – but when I turn around I see Maximus just inside the door way, hands in his pockets with an unreadable expression on his face.

"What are you doing in here?" he asks point blank.

"This is my new room," I snap, "And you're not welcome in it – so get out."

"This is the Queen's old quarters – Isobel. This is not your room," he says slowly, shutting the door and blocking Jaime and Raphael out.

"The King said I can have this room," I say, holding my chin high in the air as he takes a couple of steps closer. I think he is going straight for me but at the last second he skirts around me to start walking around the room instead.

"Hmmmm," he mumbles to himself and I turn to watch him with narrowed eyes, "You must be thirsty, Isobel."

"Look who's talking, you're the one who just let me go," I snap, eyes narrowed as I watch him ignore me and continue to walk around the room and inspect everything.

"I guess you'll like it in here, it's bigger than my room," he says, completely neutral – no passion. No anger. No feelings towards me. I try not to get too emotional as he turns to me and suddenly looks me up and down, slowly, and I see a small spark in his eyes. Emotion, finally, "You came back," he says eventually, "Because you knew you couldn't survive on your own out there."

"I came back because there was nowhere else to go. No one wants me –" I nearly choke when I say this so I quickly add, "But I decided I can be safe here on my own."

"When you realise you need my help and training, you will come to me," Maximus says, walking for the door, "I need to check on young Jennifer." Maximus passes awfully close as he walks by. He nearly bumps into my shoulder except I swivel to avoid the impact and I watch as he opens the door and closes it.

Leaving me alone.

Again.

I grit my teeth and decide I better go have a shower to get my mind off things.

Like how my heart felt like it was breaking even worse, like someone had thrown it into the trash. I would never go back to him for help, ever. I would figure out this new life on my own.