Chapter 44

Isobel's POV

The werewolf den is a huge underground space. It is like one massive living area with a huge kitchen on one end and one big table that ran half the length of the room where the wolves obviously ate together. But just the kitchen, though large, was a tiny section of this open planned living space. I see wolves in both wolf and human forms, lounging around a huge fire place. It's where most of the werewolves are located and they all come to quick attention when Christian appears with both me and Maximus.

Some of the werewolves in their animal forms, rush over, growling and baring their teeth when they see Maximus, unconscious, at my feet. Christian transforms into his human form and snatches the jeans I am holding for him from my shoulder.

I realise the only reason he turned into a wolf was because that was the only way he could fit through the den's entrance. He was one bulky guy, with more muscle than anyone else in the den. You didn't have to wonder how he could be the alpha; he physically out shone the rest of the pack easily.

"Are these two intruders?" One fellow werewolf asks, walking up to stand in front of me and Maximus, looking us over with narrowed eyes. This werewolf has dark red hair that is strikingly similar to Ruby's – I assume they must be brother and sister.

"Finn, get some rope – these two are our prisoners for the rest of the night. Though both human, I don't trust either of them," Christian orders and I notice everyone freeze. Finn, raises both his eyebrows and looks down at Maximus with curiosity.

"That's impossible," Finn says, "That leech is a vampire, how is he human?"

"Darrius and Xavier told the truth when they said Eddrick found a way to cure vampirism," Christian announces, "What is said in the prophecy is coming to fruition, this is why Eddrick must die – his blood, his life, his existence is messing up the natural order of things. If vampires are in danger, so are we. Finn, get the rope. Julie, bring some chairs for these two to be tied down to. Search them for weapons first," Christian orders the nearest werewolves to do his bidding and they don't hesitate.

"We are trying to stop Eddrick too," I complain, as one werewolf pats me down roughly, searching for weapons in my black leather pants and jacket. He takes my dagger off me and also takes my phone. Maximus is stripped of a sword he carried along with him, hanging from his belt in a sheath. He is still unconscious.

"No, it was more than that," Christian snaps, "You were breaking the already weak alliance that was made. The vampires and their human followers had to make a plan with us before going after Eddrick, I don't care that you were all human – you are in allegiance with the enemy and you approached Eddrick without consulting us first."

"We were there because of an emergency. A friend of ours was being tortured and hurt – the little girl you took me and Maximus away from just because your anger was spiked. Now what are you going to do with us? We're not here to cause you trouble."

Christian laughs and the werewolves around me roughly shove me into a chair that the girl Julie brings over.

"Shut up, little runt," One werewolf snaps at me, "What you have to say is meaningless and powerless. In this territory only the alpha's command is law and truth."

"That sounds pretty backward to me, argh," I get a whiff of wet dog smell from a scruffy mane of dreadlocks from the guy who snapped at me. He leans down to tie my hands behind my back, "...gross..." I mutter under my breath.

A moment later I feel the tip of my own dagger, wielded by another wolf with dark shaggy hair, pushed up against my throat.

"Watch your mouth, girl," he says, warningly pushing the tip in enough to break my skin's barrier and I wince as a drop of warm blood trickles down my neck. I go quiet and look to Maximus to see him being even more roughly handled as they place him on a chair next to me.