Chapter 40

Maximus and I return to his room and while I walk with him, Maximus stays silent. I can't honestly keep my eyes off him though, his cheeks had more of a blush to them and his whole body in general radiated more heat.

It was hard to believe I was staring at a human that had lived as a young adult nearly three hundred years ago. Well... he was a vampire hunter like me, turned before either of us became fully fledged vampire hunters.

It's not until we walk into his room that I can't hold back any longer. I walk in front of him, grinning like an idiot.

"You know you have another choice now, Maximus," I begin slyly.

"I will not remain human -"

"We could join Luke and the vampire hunters," we speak at the same time and I'm pleased to see Maximus' cheeks go red in anger.

"Hell. No," he growls, stalking past me towards the phone on his bedside table.

"What are you doing?" I ask, and he doesn't answer. Instead I watch as he dials for room service and orders food for two. I'm still grinning when he hangs up.

He turns to glare at me.

"What are you smiling about, Isobel?" He asks. I slowly walk up to him, reaching out my hand I gently trace my fingers down one of his cheeks.

"So warm," I say, "You weren't cold before, but now you are a normal heat... it's nice. I like you as a human."

He reaches up, fast, and grabs my wrist in a strong grip.

"Still stronger than you at least," he says smugly, a small smile finally appearing on his mouth, "You know..." he tugs me close until we are nose to nose. I still have to look up because he is so tall, "If we had sex now... I could get you pregnant."

He seems far too happy when he says this, one eyebrow raised. I instantly blush from shock and a little embarrassment.

"Umm... no," is all I can manage in return.

"Before I wanted to become a vampire," Maximus admits, "I wanted a family."

It almost scares me how serious he is talking about this topic of conversation.

"Do you want a family or to be a vampire more?" I ask, as he lets go of my wrist and I take a cautious step backwards.

"A vampire, obviously," Maximus replies, suddenly laughing, "Look at you, you look so nervous. I was just joking," the smile abruptly drops off his face as we both hear a loud rumble from his stomach, "Erh..."

"Someone's hungry," I point out, still grinning.

"I haven't eaten food in so long, the idea still repulses me... but I have no choice but to eat until I'm strong enough for Darrius to turn me back," he says, sitting down on the edge of his bed and looking pale.

"Well, maybe I'm happier now that I'm back to the way I was," I say seriously, locking eyes with him. He pauses for a bit before replying.

"You want to stay like this?" he asks, seriously.

"Yes."

"Well, too bad," he smiles, "That isn't your decision to make."

"What the hell does that mean?" I ask, anger slowly rising.

"It means I'm still keeping you - you're still mine. I'm not letting you get away from me, Isobel. You're still going to be my little hunter."

"So you'd force me a second time to turn?" I ask.

"That isn't even a question, Isobel," he says, scolding me.

I can't believe he was doing this again.

I'd somehow make sure he didn't force me a second time.

Never again.

***Updates every Friday***