Chapter 30

I make it back into the palace just in time, but I don't feel like going anywhere near Maximus so I decide to find the King. I had something important to ask him.

As I walk past Maximus' room and some other vampires, I spot a familiar face.

"Caitlin!" I call out her name and she stops walking to turn and face me with wide eyes, "Are you okay?"

"Yes, hi, Isobel," she says quickly, "H-have you seen Jennifer lately? I just, ah, I just wanted to talk to her about something... personal." Caitlin's heart is beating way too fast and she doesn't seem herself. I frown, I was far too thirsty to trust myself around a human.

My fangs start to ache and I try and smile at her with no teeth. She didn't know I was a vampire yet and I knew she wasn't fond of them.

"I'm not sure where she is," I say, looking to the ground and then down the hallway, "I need to go do something, I might see you around." I quickly walk by her, gritting my teeth hard.

"Bye!" She says, relieved herself. I'm not sure why. I didn't know her well but something was up. I guess if she was back then Xavier must be too, since he had gone hunting after her at the club. She was also out of her dress, and in some jeans and a grey top so yeah, she must have been back awhile.

I stop by a group of vampires who were grouping together in the hall and ask directions to the King's office.

"Uhm, are you joking?" One of them says, laughing at me, "It's right here."

"Oh, thanks," I try to sound thankful and walk towards the door but the rude vampire glares after me.

"Hey!" he shouts and I stop and turn back around slowly.

"What's the problem?" I half snarl it, angry and touchy because I was thirsty.

"We've been lining up for ages to get an audience with him, you have to wait at the back of the line," he points towards the end of the group.

I clench my fists, ready to punch that arrogant smirk off his face. I was done with males ordering me around. I take a threatening step forward and he pretends to look frightened.

"Whatcha gonna do newbie?" he asks mockingly, grinning.

"You'll soon find out," I snarl back, but before I can take another step forward the door to the office opens and everyone turns to see if the King will come out. The last visitors leave and the King stalks out last.

"That's enough of all you for today," he commands, "I'm done listening to all you rant and rave. It's time you all take a break and have some relaxation," I can tell he is implying other things but they don't need to be said. When he spots me in the crowd his eyes lighten a tad, "Ah, Isobel, I've been meaning to speak with you." There is great interest in his voice and I feel surprised. I had never talked to him before, except when I informed him about Johnathan in the city.

"I need to ask you something too," I say, "Your highness." I quickly add the last part, not sure how to address him. He had Darrius' blue eyes, but he was older and you could tell his eyes held lots of secrets.

"Absolutely, come right in," he steps back to allow me entrance and I give a sly smile to the vampire who had challenged me before. He had turned and was walking away quickly. Coward!

"Thanks," I say, and I walk into the King's office feeling very welcome. He shuts the door and walks around me to his desk to take a seat.

"How is being a vampire working out for you?" he asks, giving me a broad smile, "I know you were a vampire hunter beforehand, now you are one of my Hunters. Sit down, if you like." I take a seat opposite him.