Chapter 6

We eventually make it to above around, coming out into an apartment block building, in a store room. The vents apparently led to different buildings in different streets; acting as secret entrances and exits to the vampire palace. Which was very useful for those who knew about them. I guess they weren't so secret anymore! 

When we jump down onto the ground, Luke grabs my hand as he leads me out of the storeroom and into the lobby of the apartment building. 

"Slow down," I whisper to Luke as he pulls me along quickly through the lobby to the doors that lead out into the city, "We've escaped, we can relax." 

"If we slow down and Maximus is onto the fact that vampire hunters are crawling through the vents, he'll find us quickly," Luke snaps back impatiently. 

"He is more worried about protecting everyone at the wedding, he won't leave the palace," I reassure Luke and take my hand from his, wanting to walk on my own. Once we are out on the street, we start walking along the sidewalk as he scans the roads. 

"It's too dangerous to kill vampires tonight, I'm taking you home. We'll catch the next taxi I can find," he explains, stressfully looking for a free taxi to wave over. He is wearing his hunter outfit, all in black. Weapons galore line his belt and I for once wish I was wearing a hunter's belt.  

I might have a passion for dresses but I also have a passion for independence and being able to rely on myself to be able to protect myself from crazy blood-thirsty possessive vampires.  

"Why is it too dangerous for you to hang around the vampire palace?" I ask Luke just as he is hailing down a cab. It was his previous mission after all, to save Jennifer from being wed to the prince Darrius. 

"The humans are preparing a dangerous move," Luke explains, giving me a panicked look as the taxi pulls over to the side. Luke opens the door in a rush and snaps, "Get in, Isobel, now!" 

"Aren't you coming with me?" I ask Luke, only to see his dark eyes narrow to slits as he looks over my shoulder.  

"Get in, now," He repeats, moving slowly to put a hand on my shoulder and usher me into the taxi. I look over my shoulder as I climb into the seat of the taxi. 

Shit. 

I glance at Maximus, dressed in his same black leather pants, standing just outside the entrance to the apartment block me and Luke came out of minutes ago. My eyes widen at Maximus' stance. He looks like a predator, staring down Luke, his head tilts to the side as he contemplates something.  

Just as I'm about to jump back out of the taxi, Luke yells at the driver to drive and I'm jerked back into my seat as the taxi flies off into traffic. 

"M-Miss, are you o-okay?" The driver asks me, his voice timid and wobbly from panic. He must have seen Maximus too.  

I don't reply, I turn around in my seat and look through the back window anxiously. Luke sprints off into the nearest alleyway, Maximus, surprisingly doesn't pursue Luke. He turns towards the taxi, locks eyes full of fury with my own and he hesitates a moment... 

...then sprints back into the apartment block.  

"Miss?" The driver asks once more. 

I turn around in my seat and put on my seat-belt with a grimace. I tell the driver my address promptly and tell him to drive fast. 

Maximus was busy with protecting the royal vampires at the wedding for now. But from his hesitation... 

I didn't know what he'd do to me once he had the time to come find me.  

Because he would, I didn't doubt that. 

He seemed the extremely possessive type of vampire. 

I expected it wouldn't be good... 

I smile to myself despite the situation. He was use to human's submitting so easily and quickly to vampires.  

I had just escaped his evil clutches and I was about to prove him wrong, humans were stronger than he realised and when he did come after me I would give him one hell of a fight!