Part 95: Antithesis

Anti's POV:

Looking back on it now, I honestly couldn't tell you who was wrong or right. But that's how all wars start, isn't it? Two sides, be it one person or an entire nation, each believing that their cause is unequivocally just. In the span of nearly two thousand long years, I'd seen regimes rise and fall, witnessed entire kingdoms disenigrate... I'd even joined in a couple of the frays, whether by the default of my vessel, or by my own choice to satisfy my own sick bloodlust.

For the longest time, it was all fun and games for me. I didn't really give a shit about morals or any just cause; the only thing driving me was the desire to use my own power, to prove to myself that I was capable of committing the travesties that I did. My rivalry with Sean- with Jack- was the first battle that I had something worth fighting for, something I truly believed in with every fiber of my being.

But like I said; it took me a long time to realize that in war, there really is no wrong or right. It was the belief driving each side that fed the fire. I had changed just like Jack had, but one thing remained the same:

There was no true morality in war. 

Only power.

____________________________________

Anti's POV, present day:

I was dragged about a half mile into the field by Jack's iron grip, still in light form. No matter how hard I struggled to break his hold and get back to Atticus, it became clear that we were at a stalemate.
When he finally dropped me, I immediately reformed and shot to my feet, summoning my favorite mace.
When his dark black and green smoke shot past me solidified around fifteen yards away, we just stood there for a moment, silently sizing each other up. I noticed that his appearance had changed just as much as mine had; his irises were a bright, smoldering acid green enfolded in pitch black scleras. He was wearing a dark hoodie and jeans, and was surrounded by an aura that matched his hateful gaze. It was unbelievably intense, swirling around him in a dark hurricane of smoke, whipping his hair and clothes back and forth.

Fuck. Me.

"Nice glow-up, Sunshine," I called out lightly, adjusting my grip on my mace, "Did you get a makeover from Hot Topic?"

"I learned from the best," he responded flatly. I almost shuddered at his cold tone and emotionless face; it wasn't human.

"God dammit," I muttered under my breath, averting my eyes so I wouldn't have to look at him.
"Why?" I asked softly. I put a hand to my forehead and closed my eyes in... what, frustration? Grief? Fuck if I knew.

"Why are you doing this, man?!" I shouted, throwing down my mace, "You're supposed to be better than me! You're supposed to be good!!"

He didn't say a word. I looked up, my aura flaring in rage.

"FUCKING ANSWER ME, DAMMIT!!" I screamed, "SAY SOMETHING!!"

Silence.

"Please," I pleaded, softer now.

In the next instant, he was suddenly right in front of me. His hand shot out before I could react, backhanding me hard enough to send me flying off to the side. Then, while I was still in the air, he was beside me with his hand gripping my neck. I gagged as he slammed me back to the ground head first.
My vision went almost completely black for a moment before finally clearing up. As soon as it did, I was met with a pair of gleaming neon eyes just inches from my own.

"And just what the fuck do you want me to say?" He hissed bitterly.
"You want me to start crying about my feelings? You wanna pour me a cup of cocoa and talk it out?"

"M-Maybe," I gritted out hoarsely. It was hard to speak with his hand crushing my throat. He snarled and picked me up slightly, only to shove me back to the ground, this time grinding his knee into my chest.

"How 'bout we talk about you?" He suggested coldly, "About everything that you took from me? Let's count them down, shall we?"
He pretended to think for a moment before abruptly standing and replacing his knee with his foot. I cringed and grabbed it to try to lessen the pressure, but he was too strong.
Sean looked up as if he was completely ignoring me. He raised his hand and casually ticked his fingers down one by one.

"My security..."
He began to gradually increase the pressure as he spoke.
"My happiness..."
I felt the strain on my collar bone as he spoke and struggled harder.
"My fiancee..."
Dark spots began to flood my vision as it became more difficult to breathe.
"My life."

I cried out through clenched teeth as my collarbone finally gave out with an audible snap. I closed my eyes tightly to distract myself from the pain only to open them wide again as he removed his foot and reached down to grip my jaw tightly. He kneeled over me and jerked me up so that his nose was inches from mine.

"I've searched for you tirelessly ever since the night you shattered my life," he sneered.
"It was because of you that I wasted my life as a hunter. It was you who forced me to wade further into the darkness just to get closer to you. It was you who created me, who made me as I am now! and now you're asking me WHY?!

Jack let out a snarl and stood, flinging me away from him. I once again dissolved before I hit the ground, reforming in a defensive stance with my mace at the ready. I observed him warily, forcing myself to ignore my throbbing chest.

"Once again..." Jack whispered.

"What the fuck do you want  me to say, Anti?"