Part 50: Blast From The Past

Signe's POV:

"...What time do you think it is?" I asked. We'd been silent for hours upon hours, taking turns napping while the other two stayed alert. I had braided and unbraided and rebraided my hair at least twenty times in every style I knew just to pass the time; anymore and my gorgeous mane would start falling out.

"I haven't an earthly, Signe," Mikhail sighed, clearly cranky. I could almost see him pinching the bridge of his nose in my mind's eye.
"What I do know is that my meditation was interrupted. By you. Again."

"Ugh, don't be such a sour puss, Mick," I snarked, earning a growl from Mikhail. I knew I sounded childish, but that was nothing new. Growing up is overrated.

"You know, Mikhail has the right Idea. Meditating really makes the time fly quicker," Amy supplied helpfully.

"Psh. Booooriiiing," I drawled, "let's play a game!"

"Ah yes, a wonderful idea. The quiet game is one of my favorites," said Mikhail, a small smirk in his voice. I pouted.

"But I'm bad at that one!" I protested, drawing a snort from Amy.

"Then it will be a good challenge for you," Mikhail said blandly. "Ready? Go."

Ten seconds passed.

"I lose! Told you I was bad at it," I said smugly, grinning at Mikhail's groan and Amy's suppressed giggle.

"Is it your singular goal in life to torment me, Witch?"

"Nah," I responded, "Just to entertain myself. Let's play twenty questions!"

"Signe..."

Whatever the old man was about to gripe at me was cut off when the door to our cell creaked open a couple inches, shooting a beam of bright light straight into my face. I squinted hard as the light grew slowly until the door was opened all the way, revealing a slender silhouette. None of us said anything for about a minute, staring down the mysterious figure as our eyes adjusted.

"Um... hey, Sig. Long time no see, I guess," the stranger that I now knew was a woman chuckled nervously. I squinted harder.

"Do I know you?" I asked suspiciously. I didn't recognize her voice at all.

"Oh. I guess I've changed a bit," the woman said sheepishly. I cocked my head at her as my eyes adjusted fully. My eyes widened.

"Yeah, I guess you have... Celine."