B o n u s

S h a k e s p e a r e a n
T r a g e d y

     I WOULD'NT NECESSARILY say that I had my life figured out, but I believed that I was getting there slowly. I'd just graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education months prior, and I lived in an apartment about half an hour away from the campus. I had a job at a preschool just a few streets down from my apartment.

The apartment was expensive, but I wasn't alone.

Dawson pursued a career in policing. Just to have some form of college education he decided to take a three-year course for police training instead of trying immediately in a police academy. He graduated a year before I did so he had already went through his police academy by the time I graduated.

I would go into details about what his position is and how it works but every time he tries to explain it to me I just zone out and end up falling asleep. It really is boring and as much as I'd like to let him know I support his career, it's just so many technical terms and complicating things. He said he understood and in simpler terms he's basically a newbie police officer doing newbie things.

He understood my job a lot easier, though, and he was very interesting in knowing everything about it. He wanted to know what I did daily and how I liked it, and what about it that I liked specifically. He never stopped trying to get to know me.

After a long day of work, I came home exhausted. "Dawson?" I called out. I had no clue if he was on duty tonight because he told me he wasn't but he was technically on-call so he could leave at any moment through the day and night.

I didn't hear an answer, so I shut the door behind me and continued through our small apartment and into the kitchen. I was so exhausted, but hungry at the same time and my stomach never rested. If I felt a a bit of hunger, no matter how tired I felt, I cooked for myself. It didn't matter. The stomach wants what the stomach wants.

I opened the fridge and in a container was leftovers. On the container was a note.

"I made this while you were at work for you. I knew you'd be hungry like always.
Love, Dawson."

It was at that moment that I wanted to grab his little squishy face, kiss him and throw him on our queen bed. That also led me to be very disappointed that he wasn't at home.

I heated up the leftovers, and it was nice. I felt like being somewhat punctual so I took the leftovers, which was mashed potatoes, asparagus, corn, and chicken and I put it on a plate and took it outside to the balcony. I nearly dropped the plate and my drink when I saw a table set up outside and Dawson in one of the chairs. The sun was just setting and he had candles all around. The balcony lights we had set up kind of helped with his whole romantic candlelight dinner.

"What the..? I called your name when I came home and you didn't answer." I told him. I was still so confused but incredibly happy at the same time. Now I really wanted to grab his face and kiss him so hard.

He laughed, "yeah, I heard you. I just wanted you to do what you usually do and come outside to eat. I know you, so I knew that you'd eat the leftovers but that you'd want to sit outside like you usually do."

I swear my knees gave out when I swooned so intensively for him. He was making it incredibly hard to sit during a dinner with him without attacking him. But we rarely ever had really romantic moments so this was very special and I'd sit through it just because I can see he put a lot of love and thought into it.

I sat down across from him and set my food and my drink down. He had his food too since he knew when I got off work he must've heated it up when I was driving back and got outside just in time before I got home. "You're lucky I didn't come out here in pajamas or something."

"Like I said, I know you too well." He told me with a slight chuckle. "I know that you'd never make food wait just to change. You could be in the most uncomfortable clothes and you still wouldn't change until after you've eaten. And your work clothes are just fine."

"It depends," I slightly disagreed. "If it wasn't that good of food then I'd change."

"You just indirectly said that my cooking was good and I think I'm literally going to cry." He said, missing the entire point and joking around. Words right now couldn't even suffice trying to explain just how much I loved him.

But I felt the need to try. "I love you so much, Dawson."

He smiled wide. "I love you too, June. So, so much and I will for the rest of my life." He shifted in his chair and stood up from it, before settling down on one knee. He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a box.

"I promise to love you for the rest of my life, that's if you'll have me for the rest of yours."

I legit believe I blacked out when I dove over the corner of the table, that was slightly in my way, and directly into his body. He immediately wrapped his arms around me as we still basically sat on the ground of our balcony for the moment. My face was in his shoulder, crying, and his was in my hair smelling me like it was his own supply of fresh air.

"I'll have you forever, Dawson."

When he slipped the ring onto my finger, our future and our promise to live each for as long as we will live was forever etched onto my heart.