N i n e

S h a k e s p e a r e a n
T r a g e d y

Twelfth Grade

     "SHE WAS EGGING me on, whilst I was already seeing two blurry images of her. She fucking looked like you and I wanted nothing more in that second to just let everyone know that you were mine, while simultaneously calming down. I needed you, but then I remembered you were outside so I tried to push her off but the guys behind me pushed me against her. That's why when you got there, you saw guys cheering and pushing me."

Stunned to silence, he continued. "There. Two years later and you've finally let me explain. Happy?"

Just as I was about to speak, he hung up.

I walked to my group of friends and handed the phone back. My face heated up, and I felt the embarrassingly bright red completely wash over my face. They were surely listening, no doubt, to the conversation and I couldn't help but feel as though I was the bad guy. When in reality I just didn't want myself to have to endure something like that once more.

"What'd you guys talk about, eh? You get put in your place after he heard you call him a dick?" Julie said, earning questionable dirty looks from Nora, Parker and Mavis. The others were talking amongst themselves and avoided having to break up another cat fight that Julie started.

She was known for starting things that other had to end.

Nora spoke confidently, knowing Julie was surely going to take one more dig at me like always. "Julie, shut the fuck up."

And that she did. So, I walked home from there with the feeling of regret and embarrassment visibly evident all over myself.