S i x t e e n

S h a k e s p e a r e a n
T r a g e d y

     THE SEALED ENVELOPE contained a letter addressed to me.

"Dear June Riles,

Since the day I first met you, I knew you were something special. When I was small, my parents told me a little thing to know about soulmates and your first loves and how the two are very similar.

First loves are inexperienced, as well as soulmates meeting for the first time. There's new emotions and new paths that you've never come across, which just makes the entire experience worth while. Have you ever heard of the saying, "you never forget your first love."? It's true. The feelings are never forgotten, and what you had certainly aren't either. They're never easy to forget.

When I first met you in middle school I felt something. Call me a hopeless romantic, or a cheesy guy, but I knew we had something before it had even begun. I was already destined to get to know you and see what the future held. So after cowering away from voicing my feelings for so long, I finally heard good news. That being that you liked me.

That itself made my heart nearly explode, and I felt the urge to find you immediately and confess my feelings, too. But I controlled myself momentarily and waited for the best time possible.

When we went on dates together, I felt complete. I knew what we had was real on our very first date, and on that date I knew to never let you go.

But that's exactly what I did. I did so many things wrong, now that I look back at it. I know how you think. You would've wanted me to have made things official, as in posting about us, or bragging about my awesome girlfriend. And actually using that term when speaking about you, instead of using almost everything else in the book to describe who you were to me.

Then that party. I know you probably don't want to ever talk about it again, because to be honest I don't ever want to either. It was the day my life came crashing down finally. It was long overdue, and all it needed was a moment like that to cause it to tip. Losing you made me lose myself.

Then I changed, from what you noticed, no doubt about that.

But something about me that never changed was how I felt about you. Being away from you for so long only strengthened my feelings for you, and made me hate myself even more. As each day passed without being able to hold you or call you mine, I fell deeper into a spot I wouldn't be able to pull myself out of later on.

I used days like the day I paid for your food to help me cope. They helped me feel close to you, while still being so far. I hated it, but I dealt with it as much as I could.

I'm just so addicted to you, and I couldn't stay away after. So I went for you. And I can't say that I regretted the night we kissed for the first time in what seemed like a lifetime, but I do regret how I brought it up. How I went for it was wrong, and I should've waited. But I couldn't resist you.

You deserve the world, and I understand that I'm probably not good for you because of our past, my reputation and me in general, but like I said, I can't help myself anymore. I have to pursue us...and what we used to have or I'll lose my mind. You're just all I think about.

Even if you say no, I'll go to prom with you on my mind and hope that it'll be enough.

I truly am sorry.

Love,
Dawson Everette."

When I finished reading it, I broke down. I felt guilty for rejecting him, and I also felt heartbroken for rejecting a second shot at love with him. I not only denied his chance at happiness and at the shot of being loved, but I also denied my own shot of happiness and being loved by him. It was a lose-lose.