Chapter 2: My Mysterious Hero

Creek! Dang it! Creeeek! Dang it, dang it, dang it! Stupid stairs.

After the singing contest ended, I ran all the way to my house, which was only a few blocks away. I didn't want to have to face my fellow classmates. Good thing that we, the participants, were allowed to leave after we were done. That way I won't get yelled at from the teachers for running out the school.

Right now, I'm doing a horrible job of sneaking up the stairs to my room. I don't want to get caught by my parents, who will most likely ask me a bunch of questions. It would be hard to explain to them that I messed up because I was so focused on a guy, who is probably just a figment of my imagination conjured by my nerves, that I thought was stalking me. And who would want to stalk me, of all people, anyway?

Creeeeeeeeeeeek! Gaaaah you little-

"Fiera? Is that you, sweetie?" Yells my mom from down stairs. I've been caught!

"Yes, mom. It's me." I huff as I walk back down the stairs and into the kitchen. My mom gives me a curious look while my dad lifts his head from the newspaper he's reading.

"Your home early? Did you have a good day?" My dad questions.

"The school let the participants leave after we preformed." I answered. I held my breath, hoping dad wouldn't bring up that I didn't answer his second question.

"I see. As long as you had fun is all that matters." Dad smiles. Thank goodness he didn't pay attention, I think. I didn't want to tell him I had the worst day ever.

I sit down at the table and ask, "How was work Mom? Dad?" Mom and dad look at each other. Mom answers for both of them.

"Oh, it was a typical day. Not much work, really. Right honey?"

"Yep, just a normal day."

Mom and Dad have the same type of job. It's one of those where you sometimes have work and sometimes don't. They never have told me what they do. No matter how many times I asked they would try to bypass the question. I learned not to ask. They probably have a job were they have to keep it top secret. Like secret agents. At least that's what I imagine. Come on! My dad could be Clark Kent based on his glasses and looks for all I know. Mom, on the other hand, looks pretty ordinary with long, dark blond hair and her hair constantly in a ponytail. Most female secret agents have their hair down, flowing in the wind. At least in the movies they do.

"Do you have any homework, Fiera?" Asks my mom suddenly.

"Yeah." I reply. Then I realize my bag still at the school.

"Great!" I sigh with fake happiness. "I'll be back. I left my bag at school."
"Okay. Be quick, though." Dad replies. I nod and run out the door. After about seven minutes of running, I see the school.

"Please don't be closed. Please don't be closed." I chant as I come up to the school. I tug on the door and it comes open.

"Yes!" I exclaim. "Now to the auditorium."

Pushing open the backstage door, it dawns on me how creepy the auditorium is vacant. The auditions must be over. I grab my bag and run out the school to get rid of the creepy feeling. It's then that the creepy feeling is replaced with the feeling of being watched. My pace quickens. As discreet as possible, I allow my eyes travel behind me to see two men who look like they have bad intentions. I freak, and start to run down the never ending side walk. They pursue me still. I can hear the footfalls of both men as they get closer and closer.