31

I sit in the trailer at our dinner table, with my apparent mother 'Jenny' across from me, Sweets leaning against the kitchen counter watching closely.

"I was twenty when I had you. I was so young and your father, well he was a gang member, a Serpent piece of shit. He drank everyday and didn't care when I told him about you. When you were born, I just couldn't handle a baby-"

"So you ran and left me alone in the hospital" I finish.

"Yes. Yes I did, and it's the biggest regret in my life"

"Damn right" Sweet Pea hisses protectively.

"Is he your boyfriend?" She smiles, leaning in closer to me.

"We're not doing this. Bonding or whatever. You're not my mother, now leave"

"I am your mother!" she argues.

"No your not!"

"I just want to know more about you. I've heard about you through the grape vine around here. You're known as Viper? Very strong, apparently you have a high role in the Serpents"

I look at her questionably. She keeps on itching her arm, and has a needle mark, plus her eyes are glassy and red. She is clearly on something. But, we look similar. We have the same eyes and hair colour, nose and mouth too. I've never been faced with someone who I looked like before.

"Are you friends with FP Jones? You know that guy?" she asks, her voice sounding nervous.

"Why?"

"Oh, just wondering. Maybe, you could tell him that my husband was a Serpent, and I know there is a rule that Serpents help other Serpents family so if he could get me some money. Or you honey, I need some money I'm a bit low-"

"That's what you've come here for" I scoff, "To get money from me and my friends because you heard I'm high up? Thought I could help you huh?"

"I'm your mother-"

"You are not my mother!" I shout standing up, "You're not my family! You know who's my family, FP Jones. The man who took me in at six years old. The man who I asked at ten years old, why my mummy and daddy didn't want me. The man who held me as I cried on every Mother's and Father's Day because mine didn't want me! Sweet Pea, is my family, because he has never left me. Never, and he knows me. He knows all the shit that I've done and he still stays! My baby, is my family. And I am not going to hurt her or him like you hurt me. Now get he hell out"

My breaths are fast and my chest is raising up and down at my outburst. My hands in fists by my side. Jenny stands up scoffing, facing off with em.

"This has been so disappointing. I wanted a daughter who was successful and pretty, smart like me. And I've got you" she scoffs, "You know leaving you wasn't my biggest regret, it was not aborting you as soon as I found out"

It feels like a knife is pressing into my heart. I raise my hand and slap Jenny across her face. She is about to hit back but Sweet Pea stops her, then throws her out of the trailer. I hear him close and lock the door behind me, then he is standing in front of me. His hands on my cheeks holding me to look at him.

"Im okay. I'm okay-"

"Casey" he sighs upset, my tears falling onto his hands.

"I...All I ever wanted was a mom to love me and do my hair" I confess, "I just wanted parents. W-What if I'm a bad mom Sweets? What if I'm like her-"

"No. You are going to be a brilliant mother Casey, you're going to be the best because you have the biggest heart inside of you, and you are the most kind, selfless and beautiful soul I know. Our baby, is so god damn lucky to have you" he declares.

I nod, sniffling. As I lower my head becoming more emotional, Sweets lifts me back up.

"My mom doesn't love me" I break, tears rushing down my cheeks, "She really doesn't love me"

Sweet Pea pulls me into his arms and my head rests in his neck. He strokes my hair as I cry. I always knew my mother didn't love me, but I never had a face or a voice to picture it. Now I do, I have the face and the picture of my mother saying the exact words I've always thought right to my face. She just wanted to use me for my role in the Serpents, for my money.

The following day, I was pretty down the whole day. I spoke with FP and told him everything that happened. If felt like I was ten years old, and eleven, thirteen every year that I asked him about my 'real' parents. Suddenly, as I am sitting in the Wyrm with Sweets, Fangs and Toni, I see Jenny walk in and order a drink from Hog Eye. Sweet Pea stands up but I grab his wrist.

"Don't, I'm going to do something" I state.

Suddenly, I make my way up to the stage, turn on the microphone and tap it to get everyone's attention. I look to my friends, to FP and to Jenny.

"I'm going to sing a song. So, yeah, enjoy" I stumble nervously.

I take a deep breath, then my eyes catch on Sweets. He nods, a beautiful smile on his face. I take a deep breath, and then start to sing 'Piece By Piece' by Kelly Clarkson. Replacing the 'man' and 'father', with 'woman' and 'mother'.

Once I'm done. I stand frozen, until howls erupt from the Wyrm. Loud cheers. I look to my friends and Toni is crying, Fangs hugging her. Jenny walks out of the Wyrm and I rush down off the stage to Sweet Pea. I grab his cheeks and kiss his lips passionately.

"I love you. We can do this, we're going to do great" I gasp.

"I love you too, my beautiful singer, and mommy" he grins, kissing me again.

"I'll be right back"

I move past Sweets, getting pats on the back from Serpents. I go to the back of the room and stop in front of FP.

"Case-"

"You're my Dad" I declare, "All those times I cried about wanting real parents, wanting more and asking you for more. I was wrong. You're my Dad FP, I never want anything more than that"

I watch shocked as FP's eyes have watered. He throws his arms around me and holds em to him tight.

"You sung" he whispers into my ear as we stay in a tight hold.

"I did"

"You...I am so proud"