"You're heartless, Rea. Heartless."

"Look, is there a reason you wanted me to see this?" I said.

"You seem like the most knowledgeable person here, so I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Plus, you're the only one awake."

I smiled. "Well, thank you."

"Do you think one of your whales murdered it?"

I un-smiled. "My whales don't eat seals."

"What about a shark?"

I thought for a moment. "Maybe a really inept shark. One that sucks at hunting."

"I didn't ask for your smartass commentary. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this mystery, so if you would take this seriously," he said as a small laughed squeaked out, "I'd greatly appreciate that."

"It sounds like you can't take this seriously."

"This isn't about you or me. It's about Racecar, who is very dead right now. Have a little bit of sympathy."

I knelt down beside the remains to pay my respects on the puddled rocks. "Rest in peace."

"Thank you. That would have meant a lot to Racecar."

"Can we go back inside now? It's raining, and Racecar smells horrible."

"I'm pretty sure it's you that smells horrible."

I looked up at him, stood up, and brushed off my knees. "Well, I spent all day getting snotted on by whales."

He smiled, illuminated by the light from his phone. "Sounds like a good time."

"It really is. I'd offer to have you come on my next trip, but—" I trailed off with a laugh.

The two of us began the trek back to the house, which wasn't too far, but the slippery rocks made it a little more labor-intensive.

"You're real funny. Why don't we compromise? You can help me with my morning seal watch, which is boring as fuck, but we get to stay on dry land," Logan said.

Oh. I hadn't really meant my offer (Curse my Southern hospitality!), but he seemed to think otherwise, which was probably my fault for oozing friendliness.

I hadn't come to Paradise City to make friends besides the whales.

"Or you could just focus on your whale. It won't offend me if you want to do that instead," Logan said.

He got offended when I didn't show the utmost respect to a dead seal that I didn't know, so I wasn't sure how valid that claim was, but I nodded anyway.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try to make one friendly acquaintance.

"Sure. I'd love to watch the baby seals," I said.

"How are your counting skills?"

"Probably worse than average, but still passable."

"Alright. I'm going to trust you. You better not let me down," he said. "Counting seals is serious business."

I smiled.

"Now, you should probably get some sleep. Give the whales a break," Logan said.

"I don't think that's possible. I drank four cups of coffee, and I think I'm gonna be awake for a while."

"No wonder you're talking so much. Just don't kill yourself over this whale. You seemed pretty pissed when I walked in earlier."

I nodded, but if I was going to die, I wanted it to be at the fins of a whale.