6: Building Chemistry

When Toby and I walked back into the house, I was surprised everyone was still alive. Britney Spears's Toxic blasted through a portable speaker, and my five housemates sat at the table with Darrell at the end, glaring daggers at Brett, who sang along with every word.

I was on Darrell's side on that issue. Brett's artistic ability was limited to cooking.

The seat next to Logan was available, so I sat down there and whispered, "What on earth did you guys do?"

"Darrell's blaming me for something I didn't do, and I am not in the mood for this shit," he replied.

"Who else would be dumb enough to erase all the citations?" Darrell asked.

"Oh, maybe one of the three people who had more than me? Jia, Brett, and Rea all had more than me, so why am I your main suspect?" Logan said,

"Don't drag me into this. I don't give a shit about these bullshit citations," Jia said.

Logan turned to her. "You dragged yourself into this, sweetheart, since it was definitely you. I've never heard a guiltier tone in my life."

"This is ridiculous. Are you all children?" Brett asked.

"Says the guy who made dick pancakes," Jia said.

I looked over at Carter, whose eyes were glued to the floor. He had nothing to do with any of this (in fact, the only person who really did was me), and I felt a dull ache in my heart that he had been dragged away from whatever he was doing for this.

"Everyone, just shut the fuck up," Toby said, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"But professional—" Darrell began, but Toby continued talking.

"Shut. Up. I don't want to hear another word from any of you. This is the most childish argument I've ever been a part of, and I have two kids."

"Aw, how old are they?" Jia asked.

"Not now. I can't believe I have to sit down with a group of the brightest adults at the Atlantic Coastal College and have this discussion. It's beyond me," Toby said.

I rose my hand.

"Yes?" Toby said.

"It was me. I'm the one who erased the citations, and I'm sorry. I didn't realize it would cause such an issue," I said. "Now the rest of you can apologize to each other for falsely accusing others."

Six pairs of eyes stared at me, and six mouths didn't move.

"Now if y'all will excuse me, I have some work that I'd like to get done." I stood up from my chair, pushed it in, then took my camera into the living room where my laptop waited for me.

I signed up to study whales, and if Darrell, Jia, Brett, and Logan wanted to spend their summer having petty arguments, I couldn't stop them, but I didn't have to partake.

"Is the house meeting over, now that we've established who the insubordinate is?" Darrell asked.

"You aren't in charge of anything here. Not Reagan, not me, not the project, nothing. There's a reason I'm here," Jia said.

"You aren't wanted," Darrell said.

"Toby, can we have Darrell forcibly removed from the island if he says something like that again? I'm sure I don't have to bring up why that is particularly offensive to me," Jia said.

I looked up at her. No reason jumped out to me, but if Darrell being kicked out meant peace, I wasn't against the idea.

"Why? Is it because you're a vegetarian?" Brett asked. "Because that does make my life harder, you diva."