Older

Lance sat on the couch with Leo laying across his lap reading a comic book as lance was boredly flipping from channel to channel while they shared a bowl of popcorn.

They looked over at the door confused as they heard screaming in Spanish and recognized it as María loudly cussing and threatening in her native tongue, dragging John through the door.

John cussed back at her in Spanish as he was on the floor but María scrunched up her face in pure rage and grabbed a wooden spatula from the vase that held other sorts for cooking. She slapped it across his face.

"No puedes entrar a mi casa por MI familia y tratarlos como niños y golpearlos como si te debieran algo!" María snarled in the most terrifying voice that all her children feared, even the ones that are adults.

"Excusa patética de un hombre," she slapped the spatula on his hand as he went to grab something or anything to defend himself.

"Enough woman!" John slurred in pain as he tried to scoot back.

"Mom mom!" Lance took Leo off him and ran over to pull her back but she slapped his leg to make her youngest back up.

"Do not defend Jonathan for this lance Charles!" María warned her youngest as she stared at his face. She saw the bruise and bust on his lip. She slapped the spatula across Johns shoulder.

"Your not welcome into this house John, I've called you parole officer, she'll be here in an hour after I dragged your ass from the bar," María glared down at her ex husband but turned to lance.

"Jess told me, Are you alright baby?" María touched the side of his face worriedly as lance tried to calm his mother down.

"Mama please, they're going to ask you of Johns bruises, you have to calm down," lance gently grabbed her hand but María glared and lifted his shirt. Her eye brow twitched in anger as she saw bruises along his stomach and chest.

"John was harming you drunk so I beat the meirda out of him in self defense and in your defense," María grabbed the spatula again but lance held her hands tightly to stop her as John cried out in fear.

"You got him mama, he's afraid of you ma," Lance looked down at her with wide eyes.

"Leo is watching," he whispered and Maria looked at her grandson.

"Get your shit together and wait outside for your PO to come," María looked back at John glaring and he groaned laying on the floor as his head pounded from the alcohol or the beating, it was hard to tell.

"You use to love me you bitch," John groaned.

"I had five beautiful children to love more than a drunken fool?" María spat at him in disgust. "I should've left you the first time you raised a hand at Marco,"

"Then none of them would be men," John laughed out the pain laying on the floor. Lance glared and grabbed Johns ankle and physically dragged him out to the front door as Leo held onto Maria's dress behind her as the two watched lance grunt and kicked the door open as John cussed at him and scrambled but toxic drinks made him more clumsy.

John cried out when lance dragged him down the porch stairs and dropped him. Lance walked back to the door silently with a scowl.

"Come back in this house and I will show you how a man actually protects his family from bastards like you," Lance turned to him and slammed the door behind him, locking it quickly. 

"You okay mom?" Lance walked over as she held Leo's hand gently.

Maria hugged her son tightly as this was her baby, her youngest, yet he was protecting his parents, from his father from his mother, he was protecting the whole family, Rosy, Leo, Rachel. Maria hated to choose favorites but her son, her lance, he was a strong man and her baby boy.

"Don't you d-dare ever change lance, promise me that, mi amor," Maria had tears in her eyes holding the side of his face.

"Of course mama," he kissed her cheek softly.

"Is John coming back?" Leo asked raising an eye brow.

"John, we don't know, possible rehab, maybe back to jail, but he's not ever going to hurt you lil man," lance smiled at him.

"I gotta get to my game, I'm spending the night at hunks ma, call me if you need anything," he kissed his mother's cheek again as she smiled shaking her head at her youngest while lance snatched his soccer gear.

"We'll see you at the game mijo," María waved at him as lance left and crossed her arms.

"If I catch you lying about going to parties, you'll have more than an angry mother," she looked down at her eldest grandchild who paled softly.

"Is uncle lance in trouble again?" Leo asked worried.

"No, I'm just hiding all the pain killers before he comes back home," María smiled walking away.

"Why?"

"You'll understand when your older,"