T W E N T Y S I X

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y S I X

The weak breath fanned Hayoon's neck, sending waves of shudders down her spine. The hand circled around her wrist was tight, making her fingers feel numb, yet it still hasn't reached to the point she couldn't differentiate the contrasting temperature of the ice-cold hand against hers.

Hayoon didn't need her vision to know this person was good of martial arts, not anyone would be able to even make a move in this condition, of being poisoned.

Maybe she did had a chance against this person, he was weakened after all. With the other hand, Hayoon discretely reached for the bottle on her belt. She was no fool to think she could deceive her opponent, yet she still had a light hope since whoever it was , they appeared injured and not at their clearest mind. Flipping the lid of the medicine bottle Hayoon poured the powdered content aiming for the eyes of her opponent.

To her luck, Hayoon was able to pull her schemes, the man retreated his arm in reflex. At that time Hayoon turned back the way she came, fumbling in the darkness with no sense of direction, while the man was struggling with the poison in his system and the powder stinging to his eyes. Her feet were always ahead of the other, walking endlessly with no break, hoping he wouldn't catch up. The path was endless, Hayoon felt as if she was walking in a maze.

A spark of adrenaline shoot through her veins as she felt herself falling and feet meeting no ground. The passage was pitch black that Hayoon didn't realize the hole she directly dived into, a startled gasp escaped her lips, echoing back from the bottom of the hole, awaiting to swallow her whole being. Just as hope seemed slim a chilling hand grabbed hers, holding her life in a thin thread.

The painful groans and the trembling hand of that man held her life in the palm of his hand. Hayoon desperately clutched her hands to his, fighting with all her might not to slip through his grip. With a strained groan, the man managed to pull her up from the deep hole. He fell on his back with Hayoon on top of him. Her head collided with his cold hard body.

Hayoon was afraid to move, as her mind couldn't locate in which direction the hole was. She was afraid that touching the wrong spot, or making a miscalculated step would release another trap in this maze-like tunnel. There was no hole in the floor before, she must have somehow released the trap or maybe walked into the wrong direction.

What snapped her sensed, was the hand around her wrist which slowly loosened its grip. She felt the heartbeat of the person diving, to the point it was endangering. He would die soon if she didn't do something.

Hayoon sat up, minimizing her move to the slightest as she secured a solid ground. Her hands searched in the dark, moving from the man's upper body to trail his face. She lifted his head and placed it on her lap. Hayoon found his cold lips and fed him the medicine she had hid inside her belt, but it was impossible for him to even swallow not to mention chewing the round pill.

Swallow it, swallow it. Hayoon chanted but felt no motion of his jaw. The pill would lessen the effect of the poison, and stabilize his pulse, but it had to get into his system. Drifting in and out of consciousness the person moved his head slightly, his trembling body broke into cold sweat.

Hayoon didn't know how long he could take it, though the pill could do miracles, the medicine had no effect to a dead body. Cupping her hands around his jaws Hayoon lowered her head till her nose meet his. Sucking back the pill Hayoon chewed it before feeding him, just as Yoon did to her.

"Swallow it," Hayoon said as she then fed him with the remains, hoping that he somehow would hear her words, despite of being in this bad condition.

"Swallow it, do you hear me!" She begged him to swallow that damn pill. As if hearing her prayers the man painfully swallowed.

Never in her life has she felt such rush of relief, like a load of burden was lifted from her shoulder.

Despite being poisoned the man was able to gain his conscious after short moments. Realizing he was laying on her lap the man shoot up, earning himself a swirling headache.

"Don't move," Hayoon said grabbing hold of his arm. "There is a hole."
He instinctively pulled his arm back, breaking free from Hayoon's touch. Surprised Hayoon couldn't even react.

Sudden footsteps were heard, by the other end of the path, a faint flicker of light moved indicating someone approaching. The flickering light cast a faint glow in their direction. Afar Hayoon was able to spot the color of yellow from the torch and a figure moving with locks of silver. It must be Han.

The flame from the torch cast its light, though blurred Hayoon was able to outline the figure of the man beside her. She focused her eyes to get a look at his face, but unfortunately the glow from the flame wasn't that effective. The man seemed unsettled by Han's appearance, he fastly turned at her direction grabbing the bottle in her hand and threw it in the direction of the flame. The flame burned out, bringing back the thick darkness.

"Who's there?!" Hayoon heard Gwan yell followed by running steps. She felt a gust of wind as the man set off, passed her and dived into the hole to prevent himself from getting caught.

.

.

When Hayoon opened her eyes it was already daytime, she had no idea why she was in bed or how she ended here. Sitting up with a sore neck Hayoon glanced around, Hayoon jolted back in the bed when meeting Yoon's icy glare.

"Just once-" Yoon's eyes flared with anger as she marched towards Hayoon.

"Just for once can't you stop try killing yourself?!?" Hayoon pulled back, grabbing the blanket as a shield she could hide behind.

"What do you mean?" Hayoon nervously asked.

"What were you thinking of walking into the secret passage?!" The memories then came back to her as running images.

"What happened to me? How come I am here... Why is my neck so sore?"

"That's my fault," Hayoon snapped her head in the direction of Gwan's voice. She didn't remember inviting him in. Her eyes trailed to the left where Gwan stood, spotting Han sitting at the table.

Letting out a frustrated sigh Yoon then explained to the confused Hayoon what had happened. A prisoner made his escape, somehow found his way out through the secret passage. When Han and Gwan were searching for the escaped prisoner their torch flame was blown out, obviously done by the prisoner, hence Gwan fastly set off to catch him. Due to the darkness, Gwan mistook Hayoon for being the escaped prisoner and accidentally knocked her out.

By that means they haven't caught him. Right?

Han locked his eyes with Hayoon, making her unable to dodge him, before voicing his question.

"Did your highness see anyone yesterday?" Han asked in his usual calm voice. She couldn't utter a word, afraid that her voice would betray her. Keeping her silence Hayoon replied with a light shake of her head.