08

THE GROUP MADE THEIR WAY THROUGH A SANDSTORM. It was hard, but it was necessary. The scarf which Thea got from Newt did its job and protected her mostly. After they made it through the sandstorm, they found a calm spot. Thea sat down besides Aris and laid against the rock behind them.

She unscrewed her bottle and took a sip out of it, she was happy about the fact that she packed water. At this point, her clothes were dirty and a bit sweaty. "How's it looking?" quizzed Newt. Thea just noticed that the latter stood up and leaned on a rock. "It's a little further." replied Thomas - who stood quite a distance away from them.

"That's not very convincing." pointed Newt out. "I don't believe him." agreed Thea. "He didn't sound like he believed it himself." Minho agreed with her as he nodded lightly. None of them really believed Thomas. Thea just looked at Thomas and Teresa and how they stood there. She wondered what they were talking about. Did they have a secret?

Suddenly, a gun shot pulled her out of her thoughts. "Hey!" shouted Frypan as he ran towards Winston. "Guys, get down here!" alerted Aris quickly. "Hurry!" added Thea in panic, what was Winston doing? "Give me that!" yelled Frypan as he tried to get the gun out of Winston's hands.

"What's going on?" wondered Newt with a strained voice. Thomas and Teresa arrived at the scene, "What happened?" asked the latter confused. "I- I don't know he just woke up and grabbed the gun and then he tried to... " trailed the dark skinned boy of as he explained the situation hastily.

Thomas crouched down to his friend, "Winston, are you okay?" and then, the latter threw up. He coughed up some kind of liquid, his own blood. Thea's hands flung to her mouth as she saw how weak Winston has gotten, he got infected. She didn't know how, but she just knew. He just breathed heavily, "It's growing..." he explained. "...inside me." Winston was utterly terrified.

His whole abdomen was tinted in blue and purple tones as veins were strongly visible. Winston's voice was filled with panic, he was scared. The group was left speechless as Winston laid there in pain and sorrow. "I'm not gonna make it. Please. Please.. Don't let me turn into one of those things." Each word he spoke was accompanied by a heavy breath.

They knew he wouldn't make it, it was clear ever since he fell down the dune. Thea could only imagine the pain he went through, it was be dreadful. Newt stepped forwards quietly and took the gun out of Frypan's hand. "Wait, Newt.." Thomas started. Was he gonna?

Thea thought Newt was going to shoot Winston. He wasn't heartless but he would do it for him. Thea let out a breath that she didn't know she held when Newt gave Winston the gun. "Thank you. Now, get outta here." Winston's words were clear, it pained to see him like that. "Good-bye Winston." spoke the blond boy softly before he got up and went to his friends.

Slowly, the group departed one by one, but Thea didn't go without saying, "Goodbye, and thank you." which Winston responded to with a nod. She might not have known him for long, but he was her friend. Thea made her way to Newt's side, "What you did was right." she told him. "It is torture for him to be in such a state, it's better for him now."