05

THEA COULD HEAR AN UNPLEASENT SCREECHING SOUND. Her head whipped to the side where it came from. It seemed like the others also heard the sound. Soon enough they were huddled up in a group again, except for Minho and Thomas. The two were gone for quite some time, Thea assumed that they turned on the lights.

The sounds wouldn't stop, it sounded inhumanly. The group still stood huddled together, looking around in hopes of finding the source. It didn't really help that they had flashlights as they couldn't discover anything. "What the finch?" mumbled Thea. Seriously, what was going on? "I have no idea." retorded Aris. He was just as confused as the others.

"What's going on?" questioned Winston with confusion laced in his voice. Frypan was quick to reply, "I don't know." all of a sudden, they could hear a male voice shout "Hey!" quite loudly, it was Thomas. His voice sounded strained, like he had been in much panic. Then, he and Minho rounded the corner.

"Hey!" he shouted again, "Run!" both of them ran towards the group, waving their arms around frantically trying to warn the group, but they stood still. As they came closer, silhouettes appeared behind them. They looked like humans but ran in a very weird fashion.

The mysterious creatures started screeching all of a sudden, revealing the source behind the weird noise. Newt - who stood infront of the others - walked back slowly while pushing them back with his arm, exclaiming "Shit!" while doing so. Yet again, Thomas tried to warn them by shouting the same things again. "Get outta here!"

Thea's eyes widened so much that they could rival the ones of a doe as she started to scramble from her spot. The shouts of the gladers behind and in front her were inaudible for her as she only heard the screeching and other noises of the creatures. Her legs moved on their own as she ran for her life, literally.

"What are they?" shrieked Thea as she took a glance at the creatures. Her question wasn't answer because in the excact same moment the creatures decided to let out strangled noises. The group arrived in a new room. To say it was big would be an understatement. It was gigantic. A shopping center. Those words popped into Thea's mind.

It wasn't a warehouse, it was a shopping centre. Two escalators were placed at the end of the room, both of them lead to another floor. As they stepped on the escalators Winston shouted, "Thomas, Minho, what the hell are those things?" "I don't know! just keep going!" stated Thomas with distress in his voice.

So there they were, running from unknown creatures which probably want to kill them. Great. They were all bloody inspired. That wasn't exactly Thea's plan, she would have thought thing swould have gone differently after their escape but of course not.

"Move! Move!" hollered Minho very loudly. "Where do we go?" "Just keep moving!" stated Thomas, indirectly answering Winston's question. Teresa urged Thea to keep running by telling her to "Keep moving" Thea was grateful for the support she got from Teresa. The former hoped of repaying the favour one day.

Just as they were about to run around the corner, one of the creatures emerged from the side of the wall, resulting in the group jumping back. Thomas and Minho - who stood at the front - scrambled backwards as the creature moved towards them meanwhile Aris moved towards it. "Aris, no!" yelled Thomas as he realised what Aris was doing.

Thea too, realised what her best friend was doing as she cried out, "Aris!" with her voice cracking horribly. For Thea it all happened as if the time was slowed down, Aris moved towards the creature as it stumbled forward. The former positioned the pipe and smacked it against the knees of the latter, making the crank drop forwards.

In all the panic, Teresa and Thea backed up on a staircase on whichs bottom stood a creature. It stood in the light, giving Thea the chance to look at it. For a short moment, it looked like a human but then it didn't. It's clothes were ripped and torn apart, they barely clinged onto it's skinny body. Its skin was lightly tinted pink with red and green dots all over it, it looked rotten. It barely hung on it's body as it was also teared apart. The teeth weren't even there anymore, they were gone. There was only one word to describe them, disgusting.

Crank. The creature was a crank. The word popped into Thea's mind. Janson said it several times. Those things were human once, they are cranks. They were surrounded by them. It happened all to fast, Thea and Teresa were on the staircase but then the latter hit the crank - who stood at the bottom of the staircase - with a pipe. It let out a screech as it fell back in pain landing on the floor. They took their chance and ran.

Both girl ran for their lives in hopes that the cranks wouldn't catch them. Teresa was more lucky than Thea. Teresa immediatly ran, meanwhile Thea got held back by a crank. It suddenly grabbed her ankle, pulling her down in a swift motion. She felt how its bony hand held onto her ankle with too much force. The blond dared to glance behind her just to see the crank clinging on her ankle with an insane look on its torn apart face.

Teresa noticed that the girl was missing and looked back to see her being held back. "Thea!" she cried out catching the attention of the others. Newt came to her rescue as he kicked the crank off. Teresa stretched out her hand and helped the girl up. "Thank you." gasped Thea out.

She felt helpless and weak. It was her who always needed help, she was just a hurdle. But she was thankful for the help she got from Teresa and Newt, without them she would be crank food now, or a crank. Either way it would have hurt horribly. It was time to run again. She ran and ran. Her feet moved by themselves as if they were controlled.

Her mind was settled on purely running, she didn't feel any pain. The fact that her left hand was throbbing dreadfully didn't bother her, she didn't notice it. She continued to run. The screeching of the cranks behind them encouraged her. Thea wanted to get away from them, away from the creatures which almost killed them. But she knew they couldn't get away, it didn't work for the first time. She couldn't escape WICKED, why could she escape them?

They reached the next floor with the cranks behind them. Their lights flashed throughout the room in a wild manner. The shrieking and screeching sounds came closer and so did the cranks. Their sounds drowned out the voices of the gladers. Run. Run. Run for your lives. Run if you want to survive. It was an instict which kept them going, it kept them alive.

A stinging sensation made its way through Thea's left hand. All she wanted to do was to scream out in pain, it was agonizing, her hand was aching horribly. But she continued running, payed the pain no mind, it didn't matter now. Thea was running in front of Newt when it happened. A crank came from the side and flung itself on top of him.

It pushed him down as he tried to push it of. "Newt!" called Thomas out as he noticed his friend struggeling. Thea reacted immideatly as she kicked the crank against the head. It cried out in pain as it was flung to the side where it broke through glass. Its shrieks echoed quietly as it fell to god knows where. It was Thea's turn to save newt.

"Thank you Tommy, Thea." he muttered as Thomas - who just arrived - helped him up. It made Thea proud to know that she had the chance to return the favour, not that she hoped for it. She wouldn't want to hope for somebody to get injured.

-----

I wasn't sure how to end this chapter, soo here you go. Thea got hurt (sadly). I hope you enjoyed the chapter. It's shorter than the others again. Other than that... Author out.