01

SHE STARED AT THE WALL ACROSS OF HER. Her blond hair - which was pulled up in a ponytail - dangled from left to right. Her green eyes focused on the plainly colored wall like it was the only thing she could stare at. A light blush creeped itself upon her pale face, which held worry for a specific person. Thea was waiting for her best friend Aris to return. He told her that he would venture into the vents to talk to this Thomas boy again.

She didn't know who he was except that he was from another maze. Her frown deepened after a while, her best friend was still gone. Usually he didn't take that long but now he seemingly did. In her head, she sounded like an overprotective person, which she usually wasn't. Truth be told, she was simply looking out for him, making sure he was alright.

Both escaped the maze together with a fewer of their friends, Harriet, Sonya, Clara and Rachel. All four of them were taken away from them, leaving both of them alone. Since then, they only had one another. One thing they had in common was that they found the place they stayed in very suspicious. She didn't trust them, they gave her a bad feeling in her stomach.

Her suspicions got confirmed when one night, her and Aris made their way through the vent system and saw something weird. People in white lab coats wheeled a cart into a room in which the vent system didn't lead into, that's why neither of them never found out what's behind those doors, until now at least.

Thomas' mission is to get a key card from a guard, so they could enter the room. That's what Aris told her. A sudden sound from under her bed made her jump, out of the vent came Aris. Thea simply smiled at him as he motioned for her to follow. "I think he got it." he spoke to her as they made their way to Thomas' room. The rest of the way neither of them spoke.

All of a sudden, Aris stopped. A rattling sound was heard as Aris opened the vent, poking his head through the opening. Then, he crawled halfway out of the vent, "Hey Thomas" he greeted Thomas. Thea couldn't see what was going on, she could only listen to the voices. "You got it, didn't you?" inquired Aris again. "Yeah. yeah. Let's go." exclaimed Thomas as he started to crouch down to crawl into the hatch of the opened vent.

Thea couldn't hear much of the conversation anymore as a person - presumably Thomas - started to climb into the vent, making more noise than necessary. "...just cover for me." said the boy. As he entered the vent, he spotted Thea staring at him and Aris. "Who is that girl?" he asked as he nudged Aris. "That's Thea, she was in my maze, she is my best friend, the only person who still hasn't gotten taken away." explained Aris, as he started to crawl through the vent.

Thea only smiled at Thomas as she started to follow Aris. Lastly, Thomas followed too. Slowly but surely, the trio made their way to the vent they needed to exit out of. All three of them exited the vent system and neared the mysterious door. Thomas swiped the key card across the lock, starting a mechanism. The double doors opened, revealing another pair of double doors.

Warily, all three of them walked into it, looking around. Out of the corner of her eye, Thea could see how Thomas neared a window and stood in front of it. Slowly, she made her way to the boy and looked out of it too. Many tanks were placed in several rows, with weird looking creatures in them. The creatures were surrounded by water like liquid. Around the tanks were many blue colored lights, which lit up the room and the insides of the tanks.

Thea stood there with her mouth wide opened in shock, her green eyes were wide open and staring through the window, she was shocked. Aris tapped her shoulder lightly, snapping her out of her daydream. Yet again, they moved towards the other double doors, making them open. This time, they revealed a complete other room. It was in many ways different from the room Thea had seen through the window.

Many bodies were dangling in rows. Each body was connected to tubes. Above them were circular lights and machines. One thing Thea could see for sure was that there were too many to count. She stepped forward slowly, taking in the room which creeped her out. "What the..." she questioned. Aris looked at a fewer of the bodies as he walked past them, Thomas did the same.

Suddenly, he neared a girl and pushed the hair of a girl out of her face. "Teresa?" he questioned. His action made Thea question him as she neared him, trying to get a better look at the girl. As she did, her hand flung to her mouth and tears started to brim in her eyes. Aris too, neared Thomas, "It's Rachel." was all he could say. "They took her the first night. We told her it was going to be okay."

Depressing thoughts entered the blond girls head, what if Harriet, Sonya and Clara were here too? She questioned herself. One thing she could hope was that she wasn't right. The sound of the exterior doors opening snapped the trio out of their thoughts, resulting in them dashing to the side, trying to hide from the people or person who will enter. They ended up hiding in different parts of the room.

Janson entered alongside another man who looked quite busy. "You sure this can't wait?" questioned Janson. "She was very specific, sir. She wanted to speak with you personally." explained the unknown man. "As if I don't have enough to deal with." replied Janson rather rudely. Thea shared a questioning glance with Aris, as if she was asking, "Who is 'she'?" Janson and the man walked farther away from where the girl was hiding, which caused her to not be able to hear the whole conversation.

Finally, they stopped in front of a weird structure. It activated revealing the face of chancellor Ava Paige, better known as Doctor Paige. The woman had strawberry blond hair which was pulled up in a strict bun. Her face held an emotionless look as she stared at Janson.

"Good evening, Doctor Paige." he spoke in a calm way with a slight hint of pride. "Lovely to see you again. Although I admit..- I wasn't expecting to hear from you quite so soon."

"Change of plans, Janson. I'll be arriving a little sooner than expected. First thing tomorrow." she spoke while organizing papers on the desk which she sat behind. During her little speech, she started to get up and walk around her room, presumably office.

"Oh, we'll be delighted to have you. I think you'll be pleased with the progress we've made." Janson looked at the unknown man, as if he was asking the latter to active something, which he did.

"As you can see, early results have been extremely promising. Whatever it is you've been doing to them in there, it's working." he explained while showing her results for something none of the trio knew about.

"Not well enough. I just received board approval. I want all the remaining subjects sedated and prepped for harvest by the time I arrive."

"Doctor Paige, we are going as fast as we can. We are still running tests..-"

"Try something faster. Until I can guarantee their security, this is the best plan."

"Ma'am, security is my job. We're on a 24 hour lockdown here. I am assuring you, the assets are secure."

"Have you found the Right Arm?"

"Not yet. We tracked them as far as the mountains."

"So they're still out there. And they've already hit two of our installations. They want these kids as badly as we do. And I cannot.. I cannot afford another loss. Not now, when I am so close to a cure. If you are not up to the task, I will find someone who is."

"That won't be necessary. Might I suggest that we start with the most recent arrivals."

"Just get it done. Janson. I don't want them to feel any pain."

A smirk made its way upon Janson's face, "They won't feel a thing." and with that, he ended the conversation and left the room with the unknown man. The conversation gave the trio much information, even if it creeped them out.

-----
How did you feel about this chapter? Comment below! I am very sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English is not my first language but I am trying my best, other then that, I hope you enjoyed it.