Chapter 6: Always Be With You

The following morning, Vivi woke up in an empty bed. Blake must have already gone back home or to check on Emmett. Brynn wasn't home either. Viviana sat up. It hit her that she had to check on Emmett. She hopped out of bed and changed into a flower filled dress and let her hair down. She quickly ran up to the tree. 

Once at the top, she saw Emmett sitting up eating cereal. Surprisingly no one was up here with him. "Emmett!" She shouted. She ran over and hugged him. He almost dropped his cereal. "V-Viviana!" He squealed and placed down his breakfast. He hugged her back.

"I was so worried!" She whimpered into his shoulder.

They let go of each other and Emmett saw her outfit. "You look really pretty Vivi." He blushed. So did she. "Thank you."

"So can you leave today?" Viviana asked.

"Later, yeah. I need to use crutches though. My leg still hurts pretty bad." He pointed down. There were bandages soaked with dried up blood. Vivi gasped; she didn't even notice it. "O- oh my god.. Emmett.." She covered her mouth.

"Hey, Viviana, I'm okay. For now at least." He smiled. His sweet smile. "Go talk with the others, I'll visit you as soon as I get out. Okay?"

Vivi nodded and started to walk away. She then noticed something- off. When someone is in the hospital, someone is always up here. Always. Before leaving, she checked the time list. Only the cats can work it, and it was suppose to be Kayleigh's turn to tend the the patient. "Hey Emmett?" Vivi called.

"Yeah?"

"Was Kayleigh up here this morning?" She stared at the paper.

He stuttered, "Um.. no?" She gasped. She remembered overhearing Eve and Sawyer yesterday. Eve had said, "I don't see Jaylen, Kayleigh, or Ozzie." Sawyer had swore cause Ozzie wasn't there. She rushed down the stairs in panic, without saying goodbye to Emmett. "Vivi?? Viviana??" 

Knock knock 

The door opened. "Vivi- what are you-"

"Reese- Kayleigh didn't show up for her shift in the tree. We need to go visit Lexi and Zoe to see if she was home." Viviana shook him. He gasped and pushed by her. The two rushed over to their house and banged on the door. "ZOE! LEXI!" Reese screamed.

The door swung open to Zoe. "R-Reese?" 

"Is Kayleigh here?" Vivi begged.

"N-no..?" Lexi mentioned from the back.

"Crap.. crap- crap!" Reese started to panic. "Reese.. she's- gone." Vivi started to freak out. Zoe's eyes widened and Lexi gasped. 

Someone tapped on Vivi's shoulder. She turned around to see Sawyer and Piper.

"Is Jaylen here? He's missing-" Sawyer started. Then she stopped to see tears streaming down Reese's face. "Kayleigh is missing too." She gasped. Sawyer started to back up. She ran off as fast as she arrived. An announcement rung out. 

"Kayleigh and Jaylen are missing. If you see them, please report to one of the leaders right away."

Vivi started to crouch and cover her head. A puddle appeared under her. She was crying. Piper knelt down next to her and rubbed her back. "Shh- we'll find them.." Viviana looked at her. "What if we don't?"

"Don't say that." Reese snapped. Her eyes widened and she glanced at him. "Don't stay stuff like that. You are acting like an idiot- we WILL find them. So don't be so negative."

Viviana stood up and wiped her tears. She turned around without and word and walked away, with a grim expression on her face.

"Vivi- wait!" Reese realized what he did.

"Nice going hot stuff." Piper glared at him and then walked away.

He sighed and walked into the female cat cottage. 

She went back up into the tree after that. Emmett needed company and so did she. He made room on the bed next to him so she could sit. They laughed, but Vivi cried. Letting out her emotions. 

"Hey Emmett? Can I trust you with something??" She asked him. He nodded. "I saw Jaylen by the pond 2 days ago.. and I told him he was the only one giving me a problem here. He told me I was the problem and that's when Lexi had to come here."

He looked at her. "But Lexi is okay- she went home last night." 

"I know.. but then you got hurt too. I almost did as well. Something isn't right ever since I moved here." She sighed and fiddled with her fingers. 

"Once I leave here, I'll have your back, okay? I'll always be with you. I promise." Emmett was always sweet. Even though they barely knew each other, they felt close. 

"Thanks.. Em." She sighed and slouched more. She stared at the leaves above her. They blew in the wind. Vines draped down and a small red bird sung a song on a branch. Viviana smiled, while Emmett shut his eyes. 

A while later, Emmett had fallen asleep. So a report wouldn't go out about her missing, she quietly got out of the hospital bed and headed home. The words repeated through her head. "I'll always be with you." She smiled at just the thought of having someone protecting her, even if it was a rabbit. 

Viviana looked up. She saw Daxson and Ozzie walking down the path. But a glint caught her eye. Another arrow. An arrow. She sprinted forward and tackled both of the boys. "What the-" Ozzie growled. "The arrows-" Vivi pointed. More came down.

The 3 ran over and took cover beyond a large root of the tree. "I'm sick of this.." Vivi moaned. Daxson pushed her back as an arrow barely brushed over her head. She dropped down on the ground and cover her head. Daxson did the same. Ozzie kept watch, ducking when needed. Finally, Ozzie claimed it was safe. The arrows pierced the path. Viviana then had an idea. She took Daxson's scarf and picked up the arrows with it.

"We can have Zoe trace the fingerprints." She smiled.

"Smart." Ozzie nodded.

"I'll give you back your scarf tomorrow, okay Dax?" Viviana looked to him for approval. He agreed. She walked off to see Zoe.

"That girl is something." Ozzie crossed his arms.

"Don't be rude to her though. She just saved us from being shot in the head." He rolled his eyes. Daxson motioned for Ozzie to keep walking and they went off to who knows where.

"Thank you Vivi. For the arrows AND saving 2 villagers." Zoe smiled and put on gloves to take the arrows. Viviana took Daxson's scarf and just wore it for now. It was pretty chilly out for wearing a dress. "No problem~" Vivi walked away without mentioning Reese sitting on the couch. She was mad at him, just for her getting concerned and letting fear take over. 

She walked home without another word.