Chapter 5

Before anyone was awake, I crept out of Susan's shabby room. I jumped on the table and checked the clock. My intelligence has improved during the day and night.

Good, it was five o'clock.

Making my way to the door, I pushed my way outside. I trotted to the park, where Lucky was waiting for me.

I greeted him warmly. He did the same.

"How you doing?" he asked.

"Fine!" I answered.

"I-I heard some things, about your abilities," Lucky cautioned.

"Yes, isn't it great?"

"Yes, but be careful. There are bad people out here," Lucky said.

I thought of my Mother-Dog, and how she abandoned me. Pushing that thought away, I spent the rest of my time with Lucky.

We ran around and raced each other. Lucky was very fast. Then we played hide-and-seek.

I hid on a flower patch. I tried not to sneeze.

"Found you!"

Lucky came and pounced on me. He sniffed me.

"These flowers smell exactly like you!" he said in surprise.

"Maybe it's cause I smell like the flowers," I retorted.

"Oh."

We then just laid in the patch and talked for some time.

I looked at the sky.

"We should go," I said.

"See you tomorrow!" he said.

I padded back to the house and crept into Susan's room just before she woke up.

I pretended to wake up, yawning.

"Hello, Bella! You're coming with me today."

As Susan got ready for school, I walked to Mom and Dad's room. I woke them up.

"Bella?" Mom said sleepily.

I barked in response.

And we were off to school, again.

The teacher welcomed us warmly.

"Why is her dog here?" snarled the mean boy.

"Christopher, be polite!" Mrs. G snapped.

Christopher cowered, but glared at us.

"Yesterday, Susan and I discovered a great talented animal. Everyone, say hi to Bella."

Greetings were thrown my way. Susan led me to the same whiteboard from yesterday. She took a marker, uncapped it, and handed it to me.

"C'mon, write something."

Many students had their phones out, recording. Some of them started booing, including Christopher.

I started to write something on the board, and the booing stopped immediately.

A gasp rippled through the students, and even Christopher's smirk faded.

This is what I wrote:

STOP BOOING. I CAN UNDERSTAND.

Eventually, a boy started to clap, and the whole class was clapping.

During lunch, many people came to greet us, which I thought was strange. Most of the people were the ones laughing yesterday.

Hmm.

Perhaps they realized there was more to life than having money. After all, it's true, isn't it?

Susan gave me some dog food, and I was content. Again my mind was filled with this morning.

Sigh. Lucky is a great dog.

We were back in class and I slept for the rest of the day.

It was one, happy day.