1.4

Hennessy stared at the meal in front of her mother and could only thank her lucky stars that her mother hadn't named her after her favorite food. A triple cheese meatball sub was dripping grease in front of Calliope Kolman's petite body. How the woman managed to eat like she did and still stay in shape was a mystery in and of itself.

"You should've gotten a salad Mama," Hennessy said and gave her mother a look. Her own salad looked beautifully green in front of her, with just the right amount of bacon bits sprinkled throughout.

"How could I eat that and this?" Her mother asked. "Honestly Ness that's impractical."

Hennessy just shook her head at her mom and started on her salad. All the while she thought about how her mother had been when they'd still been with her father. A shell of who she was now, a woman who thought independence was a long off dream. Now though, her mother smiled whenever she could and was more of a mother-friend than just a strict parent. It was one of the things Hennessy loved most about her mom; she could be an adult when Hennessy needed one but she could also be a friend if the lonely girl required one. In her opinion, her mother was perfect. In every way, even the glass or two of wine every night, was perfect.

"It's only impractical if you can't eat it all." Hennessy stared her mother done before breaking into a grin. "Now share before I pry it from you!"

Hennessy jabbed her fork into her mom's plate and started eating the slightly greasy pile of meat and cheese. As gross as it looked, it was actually wonderful and that wonderfulness made itself known by how it smeared the corners of both women's mouths.

"Whatever, as long as you cough up some of that salad." Hennessy made a face when her mother made an attempt to steal her salad.

The two ate quickly -quick enough to grab the attention of nearly everybody in the small Forks Diner. They'd only eaten there twice since they moved to Forks a few months ago, so it was already strange when they waltzed in, but then to see two people inhale the food like it would disappear was another thing entirely.

Apparently, despite the animalistic way of eating, the pair was approached by a man in his forties. At first, Hennessy thought he was going to hit on her mom, but then she noticed the dark circles and sad look in his eyes. There was only one possible reason for his approach: Calliope's help.

"Ms. Kolman?" Hennessy looked up to the dark-haired man that was now clutching his hat in his hands.

The gesture shouldn't have sparked the anxiety in her, but it did. It was the same gesture her father made when he was trying to apologize for a night of over-drinking.

"Sheriff Swan," Calliope said and wiped at her lips with her napkin, "what can I do for you today?"

The sheriff looked down at his hands and then back to Hennessy's mother. It was as if he was still debating how to go about his business. His eyes suddenly hardened and he looked back to Calliope.

"I need your professional opinion as a psychologist and a parent," Sheriff Swan said and nodded to Hennessy.

Hennessy watched as Calliope's demeanor immediately changed from playful to business. The woman straightened up and squared her shoulders. The lopsided grin that usually adorned her face, changing to a tight line that commanded respect.

The silver-haired girl knew that her mother had always been told that she couldn't have a career, that she couldn't have anything outside of her family, so every time she was addressed as a therapist she went into business mode.

"Of course." Her mother looked to Hennessy and then back to Sheriff Swan, "would you prefer to talk in private?"

"No, this should only take a minute." Calliope nodded her head for Sheriff Swan to continue.

"My daughter, Bella, she's a senior and a few months ago her boyfriend went away."

Hennessy's eyes widened in understanding. This was Bella's dad, Charlie. Of course he'd be worried about his daughter, everyone at school could clearly see something was wrong with the girl. Hennessy only wondered why it had taken Charlie so long to seek professional help.

"Well, that shouldn't be too concerning, unless it's something else?" Her mother asked.

This was when Charlie got that doubtful look in his eyes again. It was as if this level of vulnerability was something he wasn't quite comfortable with.

"That's the thing, Ms. Kolman. She's been down, real down. Night terrors and silence, the whole ten yards." Charlie took a breath and looked close to tears. "I don't know what to do doc, she's just so far gone. I threatened to send her back to her mother a few weeks ago and that got her up again. She started hanging out with a few more people, but there's still something off."

Hennessy's heart swelled with sympathy. It wasn't too long ago that that had been her. She'd been the one in dire need of help, and if not for her mother pulling her through everything, she didn't know if she'd even be sitting in that diner. It was those thoughts that spurred Hennessy into speaking.

"I'm not a professional Sheriff, but I've been through something similar to Bella," Hennessy sent a look to her mother, seeing the woman's face was now a stone cold mask, " and I think having someone that can relate could help."

"That's nice of you . . ." Charlie trailed off, not knowing the girl's name.

"Hennessy Kolman," she filled in for him and stuck out her hand. "Resident sore thumb."

Charlie laughed when the girl motioned to her hair, which did indeed stick out like a sore thumb. For some reason, the girl thought that a bit of humor would help the man, make him feel a little lighter, and it did.

"I'd be happy to talk to your daughter, Sheriff Swan. I can give you my office hours," her mother said.

Hennessy could tell by the small smile on her lips, that her mother was trying to hold back a laugh. It had gotten easier over the years to get her mother to laugh, at least since they had gotten away from her father.

"I don't know, Doc. I mean if you think it'll help, but-"

"But you're skeptical," her mother finished. "That's understandable. Why don't you and your daughter come over for dinner tomorrow and the girls can talk? It shouldn't be too awkward."

Charlie's eyes held skepticism still, but he nodded his head and at that moment Hennessy felt her heart shatter. It was as if a weight was laid on her chest and all she could think about was her father. What would it have felt like to have a father that loved like that, that would do anything for his daughter? What would it feel like to be placed above fleeting things?

Hennessy had to take a small intake of breath and steady her thoughts. Dreading on the what-ifs was too much and would only lead to a bout of downess. At least that's what her mother said.

"If you think that'll help then we'll be there."

"Wonderful! We're having chicken at seven."

•*•*•*•