forty-nine

Hainsey

Hainsey

"You ready for this?" Ems asks as we walk up the stairs to my front door.

I sigh. I've had all the time in the world to prepare for this moment, but the impact of it actually happening is getting to my head.

It's been two weeks since Ems got out of the hospital and we had a chat with her dad about my mom and her addiction. While I'm so fucking happy that he's a psychiatrist and has connections to counsellors that can help with this type of shit, I'm nervous about how she'll react to all this. Lately, Mom's been unstable. I haven't wanted to meet up with Clayton again since the incident, so I've been rationing her drugs as best I can to make them last until this moment.

Swallowing thickly, I nod my head. Andrew warned me this was going to be hard for me. But I thought it would be when I actually stepped into my house and started reading out what I've written for my mom to hear during this intervention. I can already feel the tears beginning to burn.

"Hey," Ems says, pulling me close. She rests a hand on my cheek. "Everything is going to work out. I think everyone in the world can agree that it's time for you to catch a break. Just speak the truth and your mom will understand."

I flash a weak smile at her. If only it were that easy. I'm not only disappointed in my mom, but also in myself for enabling her all these years. Andrew said people make these mistakes all the time and that it wasn't fair that all the responsibilities be placed on me at such a young age, but I can't help myself – the guilt is endless.

She smiles back, and then hugs me. "I'm going to be sitting right beside you, Hains. You've got nothing to worry about."

Hah. That's a funny joke. I have plenty to worry about. For example, my mom could lose her shit and decline the opportunity she has to get sober. That's the possibility that scares me the most. I desperately want her to get some help, but if it comes down to it, I know I'm going to have to step out of her life for good.

Pushing away all my thoughts and focusing on just getting through the door to where I know Mrs. Brantford, Andrew, Val, Rosa, and Val's mom are waiting in the living room, I nod and grip her hand tightly. "Let's do this."

I look over my shoulder and see my mom slowly walking up the stairs. She doesn't look much better, but I can feel a twinge of hope ignite inside me. This is the first time in years she's wanted to go for a walk around Lost Lake. When I asked if I could come and maybe invite Ems, she was ecstatic. The walk was slow and easy, but it was good in more ways than one. Maybe we have a shot at getting her better. Seeing her function and then fall so quickly has been hard. I want her to be functioning like this every day.

"You good, Mom?" I ask.

She nods, her cheeks pink from the heat of the sun. "Yes," she says, a little breathless when she gets to the top.

"Why don't we all go in and get some lemonade?" Ems asks cheerily, taking my mom by the arm and pulling her toward the door.

As they step through, I breathe a sigh of relief. Thank God Ems is here to act as a catalyst. Without her, I may have chickened out. It's embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth.