thirty-one

Hainsey

Hainsey

It's eleven by the time Ems and I are both too tired to play any more hockey. After racing each other a few times – me actually beating her a couple times – we took some shots on net. For how long Ems avoided playing hockey, she's still got some well-set skills other than the speed. Her wrist-shot will always manage to strike me in the heart – it's about as wicked as her attitude.

We're both sitting on the bench, unlacing our skates, when Ems says, "Hey, Hains?"

I look up at her, but not before I look at the skates she's wearing. I do my best to stop myself from smiling like an idiot. Giving those skates to her was the hardest decision I ever made – I loved those skates so much, but when I realized my feet had grown too much I didn't have much of a choice. I suppose I could've kept them for sentimental reasons at the time. It's just that Ems had practically drooled over them when I wore them to practice the first day I got them. It seemed like the better option because at least they'd be used. And now that I see she's still using them, I couldn't have made a better decision.

"Yeah?" I ask.

Ems pulls her bottom lip slightly between her teeth. "I was, um, wondering if maybe I could come over some time. I would like to see your mom – it's been years."

My stomach drops. Of course this is what she would want. I knew it would come up at some point. I just didn't expect it so soon. What am I supposed to tell her? I can't come out right here, right now and say what's going on behind the scenes. Not after a night like tonight.

"Yeah, of course," I lie, trying my best to sound casual. I pray that she can't pick up on my slight tone of anxiety. "I'll have to check with Mom, though – work can get pretty busy." I almost burst out laughing. Work? My mom hasn't worked for the past three years. No, wait. I guess she has. She's worked on getting the best high possible.

I hate the lie. I hate that I'm lying to my girlfriend. This fucking sucks. I should tell her – we're alone with no one around. But there's something holding me back. Maybe it's because I'm scared of what she'll think of me, how I'm acting as an enabler and have given up on trying to find someone who can help Mom.

But Ems smiles at me. A big fucking smile that makes me momentarily forget everything. "Okay!" She reaches over and squeezes my hand. "Well, you have my number now, so just give me a call."

I smile weakly at her and nod. "Yeah. I'll do that."

I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't keep her away from my house forever – we're neighbours, for God's sake!

Ems kicks off her worn skates and slips on her runners, and then stands, grabbing her bag.

"Well," she says, stepping closer. "I have to get going – Mom's going to be wondering where I am and I promised I'd call Dad. Since Rosa and I are both gone, he went over to Europe for some business thing."