Chapter 25

Chapter 25

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My name is (Y/ N) (L/N), but many of you know me as Silence," I began, boldly. "When I was thirteen, my parents died in a fire. My uncle and aunt took me in, but I still became depressed and felt alone. I felt like life was worthless and not worth living. In fact, I was going to end my own life the day I met Harley."

I looked back to smile at the happy child in the man I love's arms, resting his head on Hiccup's shoulder.

"No one knows who his birth parents are. No one even knows where he came from. Still, no one bothered to step up and take care of the baby barely able to stand on his own. My village was going to abandon him, leaving him to die."

The King's eyes narrowed, taking in and processing my story.

"I stepped forward, being a mere fourteen years old, to take care of the baby. I've worked diligently to keep a roof over his head, food on the table, and love to help him grow. While- biologically- he's not mine, in heart, he is my son, my baby boy, and I will not give him up no matter what. I will protect him because he needs me; because he can't protect himself just yet; and because I don't need my blood in his veins to give him the home and love every child deserves.

"And if your son is willing to do the same, you should be proud," I chastised. "A strong and kind heart is what this kingdom needs, and if you can't see that, you're gonna be the reason the mighty palace falls."

There was a short silence before applause started, echoing in the night. He was still uneasy. My story had done little to change his mind.

Hiccup noticed and stepped closer, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"She's right, Dad," he agreed. "And if I can't marry Silence, I'm not marrying anyone."

The King narrowed his eyes in anger at being defied. "Son-!"

"No!" Hiccup shouted, surprising everyone. No one dared to whisper to their neighbor as his green eyes burned with determination. "I either choose the girl I love to wed, or you'll be looking for a new heir."

The King's eyes widened and he took a tiny step back in shock. "Wh- Son?"

"Hiccup-," his mom started.

"That's right," he confirmed. "If I can't marry Silence, I will step down from the throne."

"You will not!" the King roared.

"Try me!" Hiccup challenged. "I have done my best to be the perfect son, the perfect heir. But I will gladly throw everything away if it means I can stay with Silence and Harley. And don't even dare try to say that's not what a king does, because you married for love, too!"

His eyes glanced over at his wife's, seeing his son's point. He had married for love, despite his wife's low status. But his son's beloved had a child.

"And the kid?"

"I will treat him as my blood," Hiccup stated, firmly. "But, no, he is not of Silence's blood, as you heard."

"So, she is-?" he asked, but his eyes were bright and his tone teasing,

"Dad!" Hiccup screeched, blushing profusely. I couldn't help but giggle at his embarrassment.

Seeing me laugh at his joke,  the King smiled softly at me, nodding his approval to his son. "Alright. I approve."

I was turned to face said boy, as he knelt back onto his knees, Harley rested on his leg as he pulled out a simple but beautiful ring.