Chapter 12

Chapter 12

~~~~~~~~~~~

My feet were sore from standing and dancing on them for hours, but Harley was as energetic as ever. The girls played with Harley until lights out, then I took him to the secret room, finding it Hiccup-less.

I brought Harley back to the music room, letting him play to his heart's content with the different sounds. I sat down, keeping a careful eye on him to make sure he didn't damage anything.

"Momma," he said, looking expectedly at me. He smiled, knowing I knew what he wanted.

Then I let the melody flow,

"You are my sunshine.

My only sunshine.

You make me happy

When skies are grey.

You'll never know, dear,

How much I love you.

Please don't take

My sunshine away."

I jumped as clapping sounded from behind me. Harley beamed, taking his attention off of me and to the figure behind me. He darted around my seat to greet him.

I turned around, watching Hiccup catch Harley with a smile. Toothless waged his tail excitedly, eyes bright.

"You have a beautiful voice," he complimented, carrying Harley over. He sat next to me on the piano bench, moving Harley so he sat on his lap.

He lifted the cover of the piano, cautiously playing a scale. He looked over at me, probably seeing the spark of wonder. My parents had brought me to a concert in the city when I was younger, and the tavern had a piano on the stage. To sum it up, though I couldn't play, I was fascinated by pianos.

Harley ruined the mood, banging on the piano. Hiccup winced at the clanging of notes, obviously not blending together well, but let Harley bang away. It was I who stopped Harley, pulling him back onto my lap before gesturing for Hiccup to continue.

Hiccup nodded, and I had to lean back to stop Harley from banging on the keys again. Harley soon relaxed, listening to the song Hiccup expertly played.

I didn't recognize the song, but it was lovely. Hiccup looked relaxed- almost like he did when he was drawing- and bobbed his head and moved his body with the music. He smiled, occasionally glancing to see us staring in awe at him.

Come the final note, Hiccup dropped one hand, letting the other rest on the key, letting the note fade before lifting his hand. His breath was slightly accelerated, and his smile was contagious.

Harley beamed, clapping and throwing himself at Hiccup. Hiccup laughed, catching the boy and shutting the lid to the keys before Harley could reach over to make more sounds.

"Did you like it?" he asked me.

I nodded. How could he think otherwise? He was better than I was on the violin. Then again, he probably had proper lessons. But still, his talent was nothing to take for granted.

"Thanks. That's my mom's favorite. I play it for her whenever she's feeling sick, tired, or stressed." He turned his attention to Harley, who bounced in place.

"Momma," Harley said after a minute. "Vio."

"Huh? Vio?" Hiccup repeated, confused.

I stood up, walking over to the violin as realization settled in Hiccup's eyes. Hiccup turned himself and Harley to face me, gesturing for me to begin.

I took a calming breath before lifting the violin. The bow rocked dutifully across the strings, guided by my sturdy hand. My eyes closed, and I felt myself become both lost and found by the familiar melody. I couldn't resist the smile that appeared on my lips, nor could I stop my body from jerking with the bumpy tune. I played the song perfectly, all the strange ticks and jumps blending nicely through years of determined practice.

Unlike Hiccup's song, the last few notes were plucked with my fingers, making then quick and snappy. Harley giggled and threw himself back into Hiccup, bopping him on his lower chin.

"Hump!" he gasped as he teeth slammed together, but Harley didn't seem to notice. "I'm fine," he insisted at my worried look. "Just wasn't expecting that." We soon made our way to the secret room, Harley and Toothless diving for the toys we left here for them. They had fun playing fetch and tag in the rather large but bare room. "I heard what those girls said about you," Hiccup admitted as we sat against the far wall, "during the dance lessons. I was too busy to attend, but I snuck in to watch a few minutes, and I heard what those girls said about you. Your friends were right: this kingdom would be lucky to have you as a queen."

I smiled, leaning my head on his shoulder as a silent thanks.

"Silence?" he asked, a strange tone of seriousness in his usually playful voice. I sat up, knowing to pay strict attention. "Would you want to be the queen?"

I shrugged. Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. I was so used to life as it was, I couldn't imagine anything else after this trip ended. I knew no one would want me, especially no Prince.

"You would have to leave your village, but Harley could stay with you. He wouldn't be the heir, but he would be treated like a noble. You would both be well taken care of, though you'd have to learn about politics- which is a daunting task. But do you think you'd be happy?"

I shrugged before thinking, then gave it careful consideration. I nodded with a slight shrug. I'm sure I would be fine. Maybe not happy, but Harley would have a decent life, and that's all I really wanted. If he was happy, I would be. I would also get to stay around Hiccup, but I wouldn't get to be with Hiccup. I was growing feelings for the kind, skinny, but sarcastic boy, and I wouldn't be happy with watching him wed another girl.

"But I wouldn't be with you," I whispered, barely making a sound.

"What? You wouldn't- Oh! So, you're saying you would be happy with me?" he clarified.

I nodded, daring to kiss his check before resting my head on his shoulder again. I felt his lips press against my head, curling into a smile.

"I'm glad you feel that way, because I feel the same way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~