Chapter 5

Chapter 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shortly after everyone had gone to bed, I got up, dressed in my ragged pants and shirt, sneaking Harley out to explore the castle.

He used his time alone to take a nap, leaving him energetic and awake when it was bedtime. I would have to get used to long days and short nights, I knew. Still, I silently carried him to a different part of the castle: the music rooms.

I peaked in every single room. They were all empty, and Mrs. Manning had dismissively informed us that no one roomed near the music part of the Western wing. Most of the Western wing was empty, excluding the end attached to the Northern wing, where the kitchen and servants were kept when they weren't working.

Harley had fun making sounds, though I made sure he didn't damage anything. When he had finally settled down, I led him to the back music room, not bothering to shut the door all the way. No one was around anyways.

And I did the one thing I only gave to Harley: my voice.

"Far from the dark,

Through raining leaves,

In a meadow

Where a rainbow of flowers grow,

You'll hear the Dragon's roar.

Far in the south,

Deep in the trees,

Long before you and me,

Dragons have lived,

As they have for a thousand years.

Sweet as a star,

Singing in the wind,

There'll come a time,

When they shall roam free,

Free from the curse.

Under the sun,

The warmth of the rays,

The Dragon will come

To protect us all.

To save us all.

Swinging from the vines,

A soul so brave,

Will bring two worlds together,

And join the beasts,

To protect you and me.

Far from the dark,

Through raining leaves,

In a meadow

Where a rainbow of flowers grow,

You'll hear the Dragon's roar.

And he shall come,

To protect you and me.

Yes, to save you and me." (I wrote this, so no stealing the song)

As I finished the lullaby, I heard the slightest shuffle of a shoe off the floor. I froze, cutting off the last note, and darted out of the room, hoping they hadn't seen Harley.

But all was silent.

And no one was around.

I sighed, wondering if it was my imagination but returned to Harley, who was half asleep.

I tenderly lifted him into my arms, sneaking him back to my room and silently dressing him in his night clothes before he happily laid down, instantly falling asleep. I yawned, only bothering to dress in my night top, leaving the pants on before slipping beside Harley and letting darkness take over.

Morning came sooner than I would have liked. I had slept in and was the last one to wake. Heather, who had woken early, took care of Harley for me, which I appreciated and nodded a thank you.

Breakfast was the same cereal, juice, and milk, but this time Astrid volunteered to deliver my half eaten meal to Harley if we could cover for her long enough. And it was a dash of luck that Ruffnut was great at making head turning distractions.

Astrid joined us twenty minutes later, expertly joining us in the back of the line. She darted a head of Kylie and Ruffnut to whisper, "Harley is fine. A bit disappointed I wasn't you, but he loved the food."

I gave a slight nod, indicating I heard her as Mrs. Manning led us through a class on walking properly (which I didn't even know there was an incorrect way to walk). I paid sharp attention, knowing I would need to absorb as much as I could during these classes to make up for the ones I was sure to later skip.

We walked back and forth in the long hall until lunch, which was one in the afternoon. This time, I was able to slip away to give Harley a light lunch. I had wanted him to have a balanced meal, so I had most of my chicken, Astrid's bread, Ruffnut's apple, Kylie's cookie, and Heather's carrots. We made up for what we loss by sharing what we didn't give to Harley, earning a few strange looks to those noticing our stretched arms.

The child I adored with all my heart beamed at my quiet arrival. He jumped off Astrid's bed, where a handful of toys decorated it, and shot into my arms, clinging to me.

I decided then, I'd sneak him out to the woods tomorrow. He needed the fresh air, which he only got from the open window during the hours I was here with him. It wouldn't be healthy or fair to keep him cooped up in the room, though it was decent sized room.

I knew the girls were going to the music room after lunch, for Mrs. Manning said that was where we would be every afternoon until further notice. I bid Harley a gentle goodbye. And though unhappy, he was getting better about me leaving his side.

Ruffnut was at the door with Heather, Astrid, and Kylie, waiting for me. They noticed me coming and glanced at Mrs. Manning, who I couldn't see. Astrid lowered her hand, beckoning me to hurry, and I ran to join them, making it look like I had been there all along.

"These lessons are so boring," Ruffnut complained. I wasn't sure if she was continuing a part of the previous conversation or starting a new one entirely.

"I don't know. I enjoyed my harp lessons as a child," Heather admitted.

"While I didn't enjoy the lessons, I enjoy playing flute," Astrid pipped. "How about you, Silence? Did you enjoy learning the violin?"

I smiled and nodded, eagerly.

"She is so talented," Kylie added. "Just watching her is memorizing."

"Really? I would love to listen to you play, sometime, Silence."

"Me, too," Astrid agreed.

Ruffnut shrugged, "Uh, the violin seems a little boring, though."

And I took it as a challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~