Chapter 20

Chapter 20

~~~~~~~~~~~

Your P.O.V.

*************

I woke up back in my own bed, Harley snuggled into my side. I wondered if yesterday and the night before had been a dream- a really good dream- but then caught sight of the borrowed tunic I was still wearing.

I couldn't help but smile. Despite how it all started, yesterday had been a dream come true. I wondered if, even after the ball, Hiccup would want to stay in touch. Or maybe even continue their relationship. Maybe make it public and eventually marry.

I wouldn't mind marrying Hiccup. He was a kind, accepting, and patient. He was strong in his own way, skilled, sarcastic, and bright. All in all, to me, he was perfect. Harley's acceptance of him didn't hurt, either.

I had always feared no one would accept Harley and me. I feared he would grow up without a father, and I would die without a lover. Hiccup had given me hope. Though he was a noble- which was the only downside about him (I didn't want to move away from home, I would miss my uncle, aunt, and cousins)- I hope he would give us a chance. I hoped his parents would support us, even Harley.

I sighed, getting out of bed. Harley might be the biggest problem of getting people to accept us. A noble and a peasant becoming lovers wasn't popular but was heard of and accepted. However, marrying a woman with a child- even an adopted one- was scorned upon.

I quickly dressed, laying out the soft but borrowed clothes to return later. I had no fruits or breakfast for Harley, but I found a basket with fruit, bread, and dried cereal with a note.

Sorry I couldn't be there when you woke up, mi'lady. My father demanded I have an early lesson. I hoped you slept well, nonetheless, and I promise to see you sometime today or tomorrow.

I hope this is a good breakfast for Harley.

Love, Hiccup.

I smiled at the note, placing it neatly in my dresser. I wiped the dust off the window seat and opened it, letting the crisp morning air in.

Kylie and Heather woke up, seeing Harley and I returned.

"Are you okay?" they asked.

I nodded.

"What happened?"

I smiled, and shook my head, dismissing any bad thoughts.

Heather eagerly tended to Harley when he woke up, volunteering to get him dressed and ready. Having missed her, Harley let her tend to him, despite knowing how to dress himself.

Ruff, Cami, and Astrid soon got up, also expressing their concerns.

Ruff smirked, "Did you tie the knot?"

I blushed but shook my head, denying it.

Cami frowned, "Sucks." She perked up. "Ooh, I've got one: did you two kiss?"

I blushed, ducking my head down.

Her and Ruff squealed- something I didn't think Ruff could do. "Ooh! You did! You kissed!"

"Told you," Heather called from the window, where she fed Harley.

Astrid smirked but rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"Was it nice?" Cami asked. I nodded.

"Did it get, you know-" hinted Ruff.

I cut her off there, shaking my head no. They had already asked that.

They both slumped their shoulders, disappointed. "Aw. Sucks. Oh well, at least they kissed, eh, Ruff?"

"They're worse than Heather and Fishlegs!" she exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow. This was my first time hearing about any boy Heather was interested in. Heather blushed at the mention of his name, and I smirked as Harley demanded her attention once more. Seeing my interest, Cami quickly provided the details. "He's a friend of ours, also a noble. Him and Heather have been getting rather comfortable around each other, though."

"He likes her, and she likes him," Ruff summed. "They just won't admit it."

"Hey!" Heather protested.

A knock cut us off as Kylie finished making her bed. Astrid opened the door a crack, opening it all the way once she saw who it was.

"Hi, Hic-" but she was cut off.

"Da Da!" Harley shouted, running into his arms.

"Hi, buddy," Hiccup beamed, catching him. Astrid shut the door, eyeing me with a questionable look as he walked in.

"Da Da?" she repeated.

"Uh, yeah, he started calling me that yesterday. Silence says she doesn't mind," he stumbled. She smiled then solemnly whispered something in his ear, dimming the sparkle in his eyes. "I know, Astrid. I know, but they're worth it. I know they are."

She nodded, satisfied. "Good. We have ten minutes before we have to head down to breakfast. You can watch Harley until then."

"As you wish," he agreed, turning his attention to Harley. "How are you today, buddy? Are you being good for Mommy? Are you?"

Harley soaked in the attention, smiling and laughing as Hiccup carried him to me.

"Good morning to you, too, mi'lady," he greeted with a peck.

I smiled my response. I pointed to Heather, whom was waiting patiently with the rest of Harley's breakfast. Hiccup got the message and brought Harley back to the window, setting him on his lap as Heather passed the bowl to him.

"Uh," he trailed, nervously, still new at taking care of Harley.

"Just feed him, Hiccup," Astrid teased. "It's not that hard."

"I know!" he protested, picking up the spoon and feeding Harley. I shook my head at the scene. Harley was being spoiled here. He could both dress and feed himself, but they insisted on doing it for him most days. But he was surprisingly happy here, so I let it be.

We heard the chimes, signaling us to leave for breakfast.

"We're off," bid Astrid. "Will you be fine with Harley by yourself?"

Hiccup rolled his eyes, "Yes."

"If you have any trouble, give him his stuffed dragon," advised Heather.

"That creepy thing always calms him down," Ruff commented.

"And if you have to leave, just tell him to be quiet."

"Well, bye," Cami wished, darting out of the room.

Unexpectedly, I was pulled back and brought into a firm pair of arms. "Have a good breakfast, mi'lady." He pecked my lips before releasing me.

Heather and Kylie snickered, guiding me out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~