Chapter 6

Chapter 6

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked further into the room and gently took the last available violin. The room echoed with overlapping music, making it almost unbearable.

The violin was tuned, luckily, and started a slow song. Then my wrist flickered and my fingers danced, I instinctively jerked my body with the sudden increase of tempo, playing quickly and with perfection, excluding my sloppy body movements and form.

I closed my eyes, losing myself in the sweet sounds the strings made, silencing every other sound, sight, and thought.

My mind cleared as I poured myself into my music. I knew I moved my entire body while playing, the smile impossible to remove, but I paid no mind and let my instincts take over, welcoming the relief.

The popular upbeat village song was five minutes, and I was one of four (and certainly the youngest) who could play the difficult piece.

I stretched the last note out, breathing heavily from my performance. I had only meant to show my friends my talents, but I was surrounded by applaud once I lowered the bow and violin to my side.

I blinked my eyes open, seeing all the girls watching me, some in awe and others with jealously. Great. A reason for new enemies, just what I needed (note the sarcasm).

Mrs. Manning clapped softly in an over exaggerated manner. "Well, you definitely have mastered the violin. Aren't you from a village, though?"

"Yes, we are," Kylie answered verbally while I nodded. "But Silence is the best fiddle player in the village. She almost always plays at-"

"You're not going to let her play the violin for the Prince, are you, Mrs. Manning?" a noble girl sneered. "It's not fair to those who don't know how to play an instrument."

"Like you're one to talk," Astrid scoffed.

The girl glared at her.

"Yeah, most of the nobles already know an instrument," a city girl pointed out.

"Point illustrated, but there is nothing against playing an instrument you are familiar with. Sorry, girls. But don't worry, there are extra classes for those who don't know how to play. Private lessons will begin tomorrow. For now, I think we should head back to the rooms so you can prepare for dinner. This dinner, we'll learn table etiquette." She pointedly glared at Ruffnut, who smirked knowingly.

We were lead to our rooms, and Harley beamed and squealed when he saw all of us. Ruffnut quickly slammed the door just enough to cover the high pitched giggles.

Harley darted to me, jumping straight into my arms. I smiled but put a finger to my lips, telling him to keep quiet. He beamed but silently snuggled into my arms.

"You two are so cute," Heather stated.

Astrid smirked, "I have to admit, he's growing on me."

"Wasn't the other girl supposed to arrive today?" Kylie asked, looking at the beds Harley messed up while we were away.

I set Harley down, Heather taking the swift opportunity to play with him, and got straight to work on the beds.

"Camicazi, and yes." Astrid shrugged, plopping down on her messy sheets, "Guess she'll come tomorrow."

"Hopefully she won't come while we're not here," Ruffnut mused. "That might end badly."

"Nah, I'll just leave a note for her," Astrid waved.

"And if someone walks her in? Or what if she misses the note?"

"Good point. Maybe we can sneak him to a music room."

I shook my head, gaining their attention, and pointed out the window Kylie had opened, towards the forest.

"You're taking him to the woods tomorrow?" Kylie guessed.

I nodded, glancing at Harley as Heather kept his attention, raising his toy up and down as he reached for it.

"We'll do our best to make sure you're not noticed, but you should try to make a few appearances."

I nodded, knowing with over fifty girls, Mrs. Manning had her hands full already. As long as I didn't stand out too much- though being one of two wearing pants and the only one who didn't talk didn't help much- I should be fine with disappearing every few days.

Ruffnut's long tunic settled well with her pants, blending to seem like loose leggings. Mrs. Manning accepted it, though with a frown, and stop pestering us. I dreaded the dance. I knew she would definitely make us wear dresses then.

"Okay, well, stay safe."

I made all the beds Harley ruined, excluding Astrid's and Kylie's, both of whom told me not to bother.

Ruffnut later found herself in a make- believe game with Harley. His giggles were contagious, even bringing a smile to Astrid's face. Soon, we were all playing.

We were laughing, squealing, and sometimes shouting, immediately shushing whomever dared to raise their voice. The sheets were once again wrinkled from being climbed and jumped on, but no one paid them any mind.

Harley was having the time of his life when a sharp knock cut us off. We all froze, looking between Harley and ourselves.

"Just a minute!" Astrid called, rushing to the door. She put a hand on it, making sure it stayed closed.

I jumped into action and laid Harley in the drawer with his clothes, putting a finger to my lips as Ruffnut tossed me his stuffed dragon. I caught it, laying it next to him as he copied me, also putting a finger to his lips.

I gently shut it, leaving a gap for light in case he got scared and softly sat on top of it, ready to take the blame for any sounds he might make. Ruffnut joined me, catching on.

Astrid nodded and opened the door. "Yes-? Cami!" The blonde greeted the other girl with excitement, pulling her into a short hug as Heather walked forward to do the same.

"Good, you girls are acquainted. Remember, dinner is in half an hour. Don't be late." Mrs. Manning walked off, the tap tap of her shoes signaling her distant room.

We all let out a sigh, and Astrid yanked Camicazi inside. I glanced between the blonde and her friend, and Astrid nodded.

"Okay, Cami, you know Heather and Ruff, but these are Kylie and Runa, though we call her Silence."

"Why is that?"

"She doesn't talk. She's silent. Anyways, Silence has a bit of a secret, and we've all agreed to keep it."

Camicazi beamed, "I'm in."

She looked expectedly at me, and Ruff and I hopped off the dresser I slowly opened the bottom drawer, careful of wandering fingers.

She sucked in a breath as Harley sat up, smiling. I cooed at him, hugging him firmly to reward him.

"I thought only-"

"The kid's not hers, not by birth, at least. He's adopted."

"Ah," she nodded. "I was expecting something more, well, exciting."

I handed Harley to Heather as she said, "He certainly can make things exciting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~