Chapter 9

Chapter 9

~~~~~~~~~

"Hiccup?" Astrid asked, surprise but not getting up. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I am a noble, and I live here," he answered sarcastically as Harley hung on his arm, swinging awkwardly side to side, bumping into Hiccup's legs with every swing. First the back, then he swung into the front, going in almost a complete circle before going back.

Astrid rolled her eyes.

"So you were the one watching Harley during dinner?" Heather asked.

To stop Harley from bumping into his legs, Hiccup picked him up. "Yeah. We met in the woods today. Harley and Toothless instantly clicked."

Cami laughed, "I can see you two get along as well."

"Not at first," Hiccup admitted, trying to keep Harley occupied. "But he eventually warmed up to me."

"No kidding," Heather laughed.

Hiccup looked over at Kylie before noticing he didn't recognize her. "Hi, I'm Hiccup. I don't believe we've met before."

"No, probably not. I'm Kylie, from the same village as Silence," Kylie introduced.

I walked over to my bag, pulling out Harley's dinner and patting the spot beside me on the bed for Hiccup to sit. Hesitant, he obeyed, letting Harley eat his dinner.

I offered him an extra bread roll, but he declined, insisting on me having it, instead. I shrug and took a greedy bite out of it, not caring about stupid manners. I split it with Harley, who refused anything unless Hiccup handed it to him directly.

Hiccup blushed, but I couldn't stop laughing, thinking it was the cutest thing ever. Harley rarely bonded so well with someone, especially another male. I really hoped Hiccup would stick around, even though we'd be leaving at the end of the month, and since he was a noble, we'd probably never meet again.

"He's really taken to you, Hic," Astrid commented.

Hiccup blushed, "Thanks."

It became a problem when Hiccup and Toothless had to go. Harley was tired from his long day and unwilling to be put down or taken from Hiccup.

"My father will worry," he said, trying to pry Harley off of him. "I've already missed dinner and lunch."

My forehead wrinkled, eyebrows pushing together with worry. Hiccup must have been hungry, but the only food we had was a banana, and that was going to be Harley's breakfast in case none of us could sneak away.

"Don't worry, I've skipped meals before, and I could always order a late dinner," he assured, sensing my worry.

I thought about singing to Harley, that usually calmed him down or put him to sleep, but that would mean using my voice in front of the others. But Hiccup had to go.

"Leaves from the vine

Falling so slow

Like fragile tiny shells

Drifting in the flow.

Little soldier boy,

Come marching home.

And brave soldier boy

Comes marching home."

(Song: Leaves from the Vine. From: Avatar: The Last Airbender. Disclaimer: this song isn't mine!)

It was a short song, but Harley quickly fell asleep, peaceful in Hiccup's arms. I smiled softly at the toddler, my world.

"You have a beautiful voice," Hiccup complimented, startling me.

I nodded with a blush, pulling back the covers so Hiccup could lay Harley down. Even in his sleep, Harley struggled, but Hiccup managed to escape his grasp, replacing himself with the stuffed dragon.

Hiccup stuttered, "Uh, t- thank- thank you for today. It- it was nice. A- And for getting Harley t- to sleep. And for- and for let- letting me hear your voice. I mean, I know- I know it wasn't for me, but still. Um, thank you, again, and see you in two or three days. G- Goodnight." He rushed out of the room, having to open the door again when he realized he forgot Toothless.

"You sure have a pretty voice. Why don't you talk?" Cami questioned.

I shrug, knowing the answer was fairly simple, though confusing to most people. I carefully dressed Harley into his pajamas, having to work bitterly slowly to not wake him.

"Man, I never knew you could sing, Si- well, I guess we can't call you Silence anymore, can we?" Kylie mused.

"She only uses her voice to sing, so I'm sticking with Silence," Astrid said, carelessly. "And her reasons for being silent are her own. Knowing them won't change anything."

"I'm still curious," retorted Cami.

I headed to the bathroom, quickly using the facilities, taking advantage of the indoor plumbing that was rare in my village (only the major Inn and the richer families had it). I came out, dressed in the softest pair of pants and shirt I owned.

I slid into bed, careful not to wake Harley. The lights were dimmed, letting the other girls have enough light to see and continue hushed conversations. I rolled onto my side, watching Harley's peaceful slumber. He snored softly, his mouth opened a gap. His little hands clutched his dragon stuffy, determined to keep it at his side.

I leaned forward and kissed his forehead. He made no move to indicate he knew. I laid back down and closed my eyes, letting sleep take over.

~~~~~~~~~