Chapter 21

Chapter 21

~~~~~~~~~~

"You two are too cute," Kylie teased.

I blushed but rolled my eyes, following the other girls to the dining hall. I hurried through my breakfast, not worrying about Harley's meal thanks to Hiccup.

"That boy is really nice," Kylie noted, taking another bite of her food.

"He gets it from his mom," Astrid informed.

I huffed out an amused laugh.

"Really?" Kylie asked, smiling.

"Really," Heather agreed. "His mom is so kind. She's nice to everyone, including the servants."

"Why?"

"She was a servant before Hiccup's dad fell in love with her," Ruff revealed.

"She was?"

"Yes."

"Wow," Kylie mused, surprised.

"I don't know the details," Astrid admitted, "but I hear it's quite the touching story."

Breakfast continued with us going through many topics. Once breakfast was over, we had a free hour before dance rehearsal again.

Harley let out a string of giggles upon our arrival but refused to let Hiccup set him down. Instead, he reached for me, waiting impatiently for me to sit beside Hiccup so Harley could take my loose tunic in his grasp. He smiled, showing his pearly white baby teeth.

I cooed back, unable to keep from smiling.

We all played with Harley until the last minute, giving us all less than five minutes to get dressed in our practice gowns and to the ballroom.

Dancing was dull, but I got a nice surprise when Hiccup and Harley snuck to a nearby room and saw me during a five minute break.

Before Mrs. Manning noticed my absence, Hiccup gave me a quick peck, taking Harley from me as I dashed out of the room, checking to make sure I wasn't seen. I scurried back to my place, smiling at my dance partner.

Lunch was brief and unsatisfying, then we were forced through another few hours of dance lessons. We sat in the dance hall for a quick review lecture before we were released.

The girls and I hurried back to our room, happy to see Hiccup and Harley waiting for us. Toothless let out a cheerful bark and received many pets from us.

They looked prepared for an afternoon in the woods.

Hiccup told me to get dressed- in my normal attire- and handed Astrid a note he had written for her to give to Mrs. Manning, informing her that he was spending the evening with me.

"I've got dinner covered for both of them," he assured, gesturing to a basket he had set by the door. "So don't worry about that."

The minute I was ready, I was whisked away. We quickly snuck down the familiar halls, to our secret room, then out the window. Harley squirmed out of Hiccup's hold, chasing after a bouncing Toothless.

I grabbed Hiccup's hand, glancing over to see him beam at the contact. I smiled, enjoying the cooling evening air. Slight breezes slipped passed us every now and then, keeping the air chill and fresh.

At the waterfall, Hiccup started a game that had us all soaked but laughing within the first few minutes. I let out a scream as he suddenly swept my off my feet, bridal style into his arms. His emerald eyes sparkled as he spun us around, laughing freely.

Hiccup tripped, landing backwards in the deeper part of the water. He muttered an, "Ow," but couldn't resist laughing as he sat chest high in the water, me on his lap. His glittering eyes met mine, pure love and devotion filling them to the brim.

He started to lean forward, his eyes fluttering. Harley let out a squeal, throwing himself carelessly onto us. He looked up, giggling, his smile as wide as his little cheeks allowed.

"Da Da! Momma!"

"Harley!" Hiccup cheered in the same tone Harley used. Harley giggled, setting himself on my lap but leaning his back against Hiccup's chest.

We sat there, peacefully, letting our breath even out. We giggled every now and then, glancing and smiling amongst ourselves.

Harley leaned his head against Hiccup's shoulder, suddenly declaring, "I love you, Daddy."

Our eyes widened, flickering between each other and Harley's peaceful closed eyes. I smiled, leaning my head against his other shoulder.

"I love you, too, son. I love you both." Hiccup kissed the tops of our heads, adjusting himself so he could comfortably wrap his arms around us without falling backwards. After a few blissful minutes, my stomach growled, and Hiccup shifted. "Okay, supper time."

I reluctantly stood, but Harley refused to let go of Hiccup. With an honored smile, Hiccup carried Harley out of the water and to the basket.

Our dinner consisted of simple sandwiches and apple slices, but it was one of the best I could remember. Dinner was full of jovial laughter and togetherness.

As the sun set below the treetops and the sky darkened, we packed up and hurried our way to the castle.

Climbing back through our window, Harley yawned but kept his energetic appearance.

"One more surprise for tonight?" Hiccup asked, holding an upright Harley in his arms.

I set the basket down and nodded, letting him use his free hand to guide me through the castle, up many flights of stairs and through a heavy door. I gasped at the sight of a flat part of the roof, sunken in comparison to the shutters.

He pulled out a folded blanket by the inside of the door, leading us to the middle. He carefully handed Harley to me before laying out the thick blanket. Once allowed, Harley quickly made a little nest in between mine and Hiccup's laying bodies.

Hiccup spent the early part of the night talking to Harley about the stars, teaching him dozens of constellations. Harley listened, keenly, until the activities of the busy day forced him to finally shut his eyes.

Once Hiccup noticed the little sleeping boy, he smiled softly, leaning over to lightly kiss the boy's forehead. As if feeling my gaze, he looked up, his eyes tired but bright. He leaned over Harley, pecking my lips again.

"I'm the luckiest guy in Midgard," he stated, resting his head on his propped hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~